No announcement yet.

Weekend in East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, lots of good suggestions. Sounds like Caddo is the place to go when the dogwoods are blooming. So when do they bloom? I am thinking a mid-March trip. No going on a motorcycle. Any boudin in those areas? Love that stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
      Stay away from the cornbread place, but Riverport BBQ is legit.

Spend a weekend at Caddo. I know a guy that leases his house on the lake (think VRBO, but independently), it's a great place if you're interested.
      Riverport is owned by a good friend of mine.....i concur!

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
        Wow, lots of good suggestions. Sounds like Caddo is the place to go when the dogwoods are blooming. So when do they bloom? I am thinking a mid-March trip. No going on a motorcycle. Any boudin in those areas? Love that stuff!

There is a Cajun place in Marshall that is said to have great gumbo and boudin. I normally plan my travels around the quality of BBQ I can find.

Comment

If you do decide to pass through Tyler & BBQ is what you are after, try Stanley’s Pit BBQ near the hospitals

Comment

I am always after BBQ. Thanks for those suggestions.

Comment

I like Caddo................
              But, I'm kinda partial to Toledo Bend area...........

Comment

Holly Lake Ranch, Look it up. Holiday Inn has rental cabins and duplex's, ETC. Holly Lake has some rentals also. East of Mineola, West of Longview, North of 20, and 80.

Comment

Don't forget about beautiful lake Houston. Minutes from Porter where the elite TBHs live

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    Don't forget about beautiful lake Houston. Minutes from Porter where the elite TBHs live

Lol!

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I always enjoy the drive north out of Woodville on Hwy 69, catching Recreation Road 255 to the east. 255 takes you through the Angelina National Forest and across the Sam Rayburn **** which is pretty. Then you can hit Hwy 96 and turn north and go to San Augustine. San Augustine has a nice little downtown window shopping area. There's also some historical landmarks there that might be worth checking out.

If you want to divert slightly from that path, I hear the space shuttle Columbia museum in Hemphill is worth seeing.

Then you could turn north and go up Through Carthage and Marshall on your way to Caddo.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Come on now Pat, we can't all live in Shepherd 😜

Comment

Make sure you go bass fishing. East Texas has a ton of incredible lakes. Caddo is a MUST see. Our lodge on Lake Fork was designated by Sports Afield Magazine as one of the "Top Foishing Lodges in North America". However, its $995 per night.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                            Caddo Lake is very cool and Jefferson has a cool shopping area downtown. There is a cornbread place people line up for that I have never eaten at, due to not wanting to stand in line, but the BBQ place next door is very good and not much of a line. Gladewater has a cool downtown for shops and antiques. The Sabine National Forest is also a beautiful place to drive through. I would suggest staying away from Tyler due to the CRAZY traffic. Canton is fun with the wife and the tacos shop out by I-20 is amazing. On Target Archery is also just west of Canton and has a cool 3D range and virtual reality indoor hunting course, if yo want to take your bow along for the ride. If you get to Lindale you will have to eat at either BBQ Love of Bodacious BBQ.
                            X2

Comment

Palestine, take the train ride

If you make it to San Augustine, Mary Kay’s Diner on 96 is good groceries.

You can stay in Center for about $80 a night at the holiday inn express so you will have access to Nacogdoches, San Augustine, Carthage, and you’re 65 miles to bossier city.

Comment

Everyone has made good suggestions and to answer your questions on the borderline; you will know you are in East Texas once you are on the other side of the Pine Curtain. Caddo and Big Thicket are must visits if you’re going to East Texas for the nature. If you are looking for history and culture you would be hard pressed to beat Nacogdoches, Marshall, or Jefferson. My advice is two trips since you only have a weekend. One trip for NE Texas focusing on Marshall/Jefferson/Caddo. Watch out for bigfoot when you are in Uncertain. If you go to Caddo from Marshall find stagecoach road off 43. It’s right outside of Marshall and will take you almost to Jefferson. It’s narrow and the road can get rough after some weather unless you have a 4x4 but definitely worth the drive if you have a vehicle that can handle it. The other trip I would base out of Nac and then go down south to Big Thicket in a day and see SE Texas. As far as food I would say in the NE area I would recommend Stillwater Inn for a special occasion in Jefferson but I’m kinda low brow and always end up at Auntie Skinners because the booze is cheap and strong with a decent burger. Big Pines used to be the place to eat at Caddo but it’s not what it was before the fire. If you want to eat on the lake I would go with RiverBend. If you are going cheap route the Lighthouse in Karnack has GREAT burger. It might look a little rough one the outside but everyone is nice. This is probably good advice for a lot of East Texas in general if you have never been.

Comment

Working...
                                X