Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening Morning Success... after a tough blood trail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Morning Success... after a tough blood trail.

This may get a little wordy and I apologize up front. This one is no Booner but he is special to us. We made the decision earlier this year to look for some property of our own. I wasn't quite ready but it has always been a dream of my dad's to have a family place and we knew we needed to do it now while he still had a few good years to work and enjoy the place. So in January my wife and I began the search, fully expecting to view many ranches for multiple months but wouldn't you know, I fell in love with the first one we looked at, never thought it would be down South.

We closed in February and have been WORKING hard to get things set up and start pulling some deer in. (Bugging the South Texas and McMullen county threads with many questions) Fast forward to this morning, I was covered up with does and fawns and got a text from my dad. "He jumped string on me and I hit him back", he was sick - ready to pack up and go home. We left him alone, I put in a request for a dog on the GS but decided to ease in and take a look after 3 hours. No blood on arrow and it smelled like guts, I wasn't very confident. We looked and swept for about 20 minutes, was just about to back out and just blindly stumbled across blood about 100 yds in the brush. It was steady and getting better as we went, followed it about another 100 yds and right into the thickest mesquite/cactus flat on the place. It started getting spotty and we started getting nervous walked around a big bunch of cactus and right up on him.

I'm not gonna lie, I got pretty emotional. My dad killed his best buck to date on OUR property, the first morning we hunted it. By the way, these are some big bodied deer down here - WOW. Like I said he's not a monster but he is special to us and will be the first one on the ranch wall.

Thanks for following along and thanks for the suggestions the AM, I'm glad we didn't have to make the call. Good luck to everyone the rest of the weekend. I have no idea why those images posted like that, will add a better one of the deer.
    Attached Files

Better LDP

See if this works
    Attached Files

Comment

That's awesome, congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

That is awesome!!!

Not sure how much y’all are supplementing, but McMullen has tons of native browser that’s just as good or better than anything you could ever feed them.

Comment

Wow! Glad y’all found it. Congrats to your father for setting the bar high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wow...good job. That looks like a big healthy buck!

Comment

making some good memories....nice

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Very nice buck

Comment

That's a nice lookin' buck. Congratulations to the 'young' man!

Comment

Great buck! Congrats

Comment

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

Goodness son! Nice buck

Comment

Heck yeah! Very nice!

Comment

Congrats!!! I sure miss my days of hunting in McMullen Cty!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X