Big mountain lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    look at the size of that extension cord!
    Dang that’s funny! Good one

Comment

Average range of a mountain lion is 300 square miles is what I read. Not saying there is one every 300 sq miles but that's there average territory.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
        So question. Why do we hunt mountain lions? If they’re so incredibly rare, especially here in this particular state, why are people hunting them? Seems to me if we keep at that practice they’ll be extinct.....or is that the goal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Though not nearing extinction, they are extremely rare, and IMO the state should require a special permit to kill them , I have lived and worked on some of the larger ranches in south and west Texas, and seen a few alive, and some dead ( mainly small juveniles why do people kill such animals) , now some people are going to say they kill sheep and goats or calf’s or eat your wife’s cat or dog , well those should be controlled by a nuisance cat permit
        And people who argue “ well they kill my deer “ well you don’t technically own the deer and the ones killed by a mountain Lion are a natural process
        Sheep , goats , calf’s and deer are 1000% more likely to be killed by a stray dog
        Or pack of dogs
        So as y’all can see I would like to see more big cats

Comment

Garner state Park is not to far away from the Garven store. A lot of easy pickins there for a Mountain Lion. Have a few hog traps not far from there either off the Frio. Game rich area. The West Kerr Ranch reposted this and I consider them reputable.

Comment

Huge Kitten !!!

Comment

Why in the world would you stand that far back from an already impressive animal? Was it not good enough?

Still a big kitty. Congrats to the hunter on an awesome animal.

Comment

look at the size of those for arms and head on that sucker

Comment

I am 66 years old and there are more mountain lions in Texas today than any time in my life. Now that the sheep and goat industry has almost disappeared, there are very few ranches in the Hill Country, Edwards Plateau or Trans-Pecos doing much predator control. There are only a handful of lion hunters (houndsmen) today as many absentee landowners are not interested in predator control or someone trailing a lion across their ranch.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Mountain lion population is going up in Texas, not down. They're rare and will stay rare in any areas heavily inhabited by people, but they have a whole lot of wide open land in the South and Western half of the State, and I think the explosion in pig population is making it easier on them.

They're an apex predator and you just can't have a huge population of them around. My parents used to live near Mt. Lemon in Arizona and that small range has one of (if not the) highest population densities of Mountain Lions in the US. They were estimating like 10 cats in the 12 mile range and when they did an actual fly-over census, they counted close to 40 that they actually verified. They started showing up in the city parks, etc. and had to start hunting them.

Comment

Hmm interesting. With as many sightings I see here on TBH that are very obviously not a ML but turn out to be a bobcat or dog or whatever, along with the research I’ve been able to read about I thought they are pretty rare. Actually most of the research states it’s unknown how the population fairing but likely not increasing. I did read one article that stated on one ranch the population was healthy and in that general area the population was “probably healthy and increasing but unable to determine due to the elusiveness of the cats”. Doesn’t seem to me they’re increasing but they’re not endangered yet either based on actual research.

Comment

Nice forced perspective there bro...

As far as hunting Mountain Lions, they are an IUCN Least Concern species, have the largest range of any mammal in the Western Hemisphere so why not? I do believe that they should be categorized as a game animal and have restrictions on their take in TX though.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                          Why in the world would you stand that far back from an already impressive animal? Was it not good enough?
                          My exact thoughts every time I see one of these types of photos.

Comment

Hmm interesting. With as many sightings I see here on TBH that are very obviously not a ML but turn out to be a bobcat or dog or whatever, along with the research I’ve been able to read about I thought they are pretty rare. Actually most of the research states it’s unknown how the population fairing but likely not increasing. I did read one article that stated on one ranch the population was healthy and in that general area the population was “probably healthy and increasing but unable to determine due to the elusiveness of the cats”. Doesn’t seem to me they’re increasing but they’re not endangered yet either based on actual research.

Read this book. It's pretty good.

Lots of mountain lions around, and they are expanding their range.

Comment

Thanks TxAg I’ll read it. I’m totally game if there’s a healthy population and I’d hunt a mature one if that was the case. I just can’t stomach the thought of killing any animal that’s rare so I’m looking to feel better about celebrating someone that’s killed a ML. Just the only literature I’ve read doesn’t exactly say they’re plentiful.

Comment

Thanks TxAg I’ll read it. I’m totally game if there’s a healthy population and I’d hunt a mature one if that was the case. I just can’t stomach the thought of killing any animal that’s rare so I’m looking to feel better about celebrating someone that’s killed a ML. Just the only literature I’ve read doesn’t exactly say they’re plentiful.

I don’t care if they are plentiful or not. They don’t really serve a purpose in Texas anymore. Hunters take care of the deer population, we don’t need an apex predator to do it for us. Cattle, sheep, goats, and horses are never going to overpopulate and there is a significant dollar loss if a big cat kills one. I don’t want them killing my dog either.

If they go extinct so be it. I don’t want any tigers or wolves running around in Texas either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X