Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
    How do yall set up your water totes? gravity fed ?
    Yes, water tote gravity fed to a small trough with a float. For me the smaller the trough the better to help with evaporation.
    Look back early in last yrs thread and you’ll prob see some setups.

Comment

About how long does a 250 gal tote last during the hot days of summer?

Comment

275 ga...and it lasts me about a month on a rainless hot summer month....but we do have a high deer pop.

Forgot to add.. This year was a totally different animal with all the rain. My 2 totes per pen lasted from late July to mid November. Weird as heck

Two years ago some of us doubled our tanks per pen. Well worth the extra investment and time per fill... I like a little larger trough as I like to promote more animals using it at one time. Turkey love sitting on the side and drinking from it and most deer that come in go straight to it. My buck I killed two seasons ago spent 2-3 minutes at it before I shot him. Passthrough would have meant a hole in the tote so I had to wait..

Click image for larger version

Name:	000 Seismic water1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24567023

Name:	000 Seismic water.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	24567024

If you can find a blue plastic barrel and a lid band, they make for a very nice cheap trough.

Name:	slacker trough.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	24567025

Name:	camera view.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	24567026

Name:	slacker trough1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	24567027
        Last edited by Smart; 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

My tote lasted couple of months

Comment

For those of you who are supplying water how far is the nearest water source to your feeder? Just thinking we have quite a few ponds and the river on our place don't know if it's necessary. But if it will help need to do it. Thanks

Comment

I will day the rattlesnakes like getting under my tote.

Comment

good info, I'm pretty close to windmill water, within a couple 100yards.

Comment

I look at it this way, If water is further than I can see from my blind then I add a trough. I want everything a deer needs in one spot. Alos when its really hot and dry they will eat more protein and cottonseed when water is immediately available. Like smart said in early season or during the rut when they are running hard the water is as good of an attractant as the feed.

Comment

I let mine go almost dry at one point and now have a large amount of scum/growth in my tanks. Anybody know of anything to use to break it up and wash out besides just water pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      I let mine go almost dry at one point and now have a large amount of scum/growth in my tanks. Anybody know of anything to use to break it up and wash out besides just water pressure?
                      Bluestone will clear it up. Palmers has it. Powder you can put in the water will kill the growth but not harm animals. I just put a little in ours every couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                        Bluestone will clear it up. Palmers has it. Powder you can put in the water will kill the growth but not harm animals. I just put a little in ours every couple months.
                        Just wondering if it will help breakdown the crap in there now? I usually add stuff to keep it clean but neglected it. It keeps plugging up the line. May have to just haul to camp and spray it out.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Just wondering if it will help breakdown the crap in there now? I usually add stuff to keep it clean but neglected it. It keeps plugging up the line. May have to just haul to camp and spray it out.
                          Yeah sounds like you may have to if its bigger build up.

Comment

Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                              Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?

Don’t worry, you’re not the only one!! It’s been that way across West Texas it seems. We still had good numbers but a lot of our target bucks that we know made it were a no show due to the rains. Lots of browse for them to eat even though we went through nearly 40 tons of protein during the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
                                Don’t worry, you’re not the only one!! It’s been that way across West Texas it seems. We still had good numbers but a lot of our target bucks that we know made it were a no show due to the rains. Lots of browse for them to eat even though we went through nearly 40 tons of protein during the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Thanks...that helps some just knowing we were not the only ones! I guess I am spoiled after the 2017 season when I killed Big Boy, shown on my Avatar pic. We also never saw the big Fallows on camera anymore as well.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X