Washington State / Oregon Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington State / Oregon Vacation

Well it is my year to plan a surprise vacation for the wife. I am thinking about making a trip up to the Washington State / Oregon area so looking for advice on where to go and things to do. We would probably like to camp a few days and hotel a few days.

We would also like to do some kind of fishing, maybe two days of different styles. I know there are Salmon to catch up there, hopefully, but also would not mind some type of fly fishing. I heard that early August was good for Salmon?

Any tips, recommendations, references etc. would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Hockley; 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM.

I'll be following this one for sure, we're working on planning a vacation up there too. We've seen some really cool deals on Airbnb for places to stay on Puget Sound some include kayaks and have fishing piers.

Comment

When are you going? I was there for ten days this July, both Washington and Oregon...

Cannon Beach Oregon is good starting point, dm me if you want more.

Comment

Originally posted by kch73 View Post
        When are you going? I was there for ten days this July, both Washington and Oregon...

Cannon Beach Oregon is good starting point, dm me if you want more.
        I haven't decided when yet, looking for suggestions on time. Would really like to time it with the best fishing possible.

Comment

If you have time, Olympic National park is absolutely stunning. You can go from snowy alpine to temperate rainforest to ocean beach and never leave the park. Elk, blacktail deer, and black bear are everywhere.

Comment

I love the Pacific Northwest. Oregon has some beautiful beaches. Cannon Beach is absolutely one of the prettiest places I’ve ever seen. The cities, however, are pretty terrible.
            Gig harbor Washington was really neat. Kind of had a romantic vibe to it. The Columbia River Valley has a lot of wineries if you’re into that.

Comment

If you want to get out of the Texas heat, go in July or August. You need to figure how long you will be there and adjust accordingly. It's usually alot cheaper to fly into Portland than Seattle FYI...

Comment

We spent about 1/2 time on Orcas Island in the San Juan's close to the 49th parallel, could see Canada from where we stayed. Very cool experience riding a ferry, just make reservations in advance lol...

Comment

Originally posted by kch73 View Post
                  We spent about 1/2 time on Orcas Island in the San Juan's close to the 49th parallel, could see Canada from where we stayed. Very cool experience riding a ferry, just make reservations in advance lol...
                  I think I just read about this in the AAA magazine

Comment

Stay west of Wenatchee and Yakima and you will be good. The terrain and climate change from the desert of the columbia river basin to the rainforest of the Cascades is really cool. Lots of great fishing from big rivers with salmon, small creeks with cutthroat, rainbows, etc and alpine lakes you can hike up to and fish with a float tube. I spent 4 months in WA on a bull trout project and didn't get to see everything I wanted to. Lots of camping in the national forests.

Comment

I currently live in Washington. I live at the base of Mount Rainier. There is a lot of nice things to see but stay away from the big cities as there is ton of drug users and homeless.

Comment

Astoria, Cannon Beach, Leavenworth, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor, North Cascades Hiway, Mt St Helen's, Paradise Lodge Mt Rainer, Olympic National Park, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                          Astoria, Cannon Beach, Leavenworth, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor, North Cascades Hiway, Mt St Helen's, Paradise Lodge Mt Rainer, Olympic National Park, etc.
                          All this plus Multnomah Falls. I was in Oregon training for 3 weeks. It’s beautiful but down town has a bunch of homeless people and tent cities. The homeless people can be rude a few of my friends had some experiences with them.

Comment

I vote Washington, my mother inlaw lives in port townsend, i loved it when i visited an few months ago.. there is a reasturant like a block from the ferry (still on water front, right nest to a seattle FD fire boat station) and they have the best fish and chips ive ever had. They use halibut and its amazing. The views once you get accross on the ferry are beautiful, i wanted to go to olympic NF but didnt have time. I want to move there, but its hard to get on with an FD out there when you live here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd1212 View Post
                              I currently live in Washington. I live at the base of Mount Rainier. There is a lot of nice things to see but stay away from the big cities as there is ton of drug users and homeless.
                              Can you recommend and fishing guides?

Comment

Working...
                              X