Decided to give it a go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to give it a go

So every now and then I get ahold of some sheds and I give them to my dog she LOVES them. This time since she already has two that she’s working away at I decided I would take a stab at staining them with coffee as well as some ORYX horns I have since they’re drying out. I’ll show some pics of the steps and process after watching a YouTube video. I’m not very satisfied with how the sheds turned out looks like they’re dirty but it worked great on the oryx horns. Maybe my coffee wasn’t a dark enough roast? I will repeat the process on the sheds until they come out darker. Tomorrow I’ll spray them with some enamel when they are dry.

Started with a soak in some dish soap and warm water for a few hours.

Comment

Pictures are saying failed to upload..

Comment

I have used it to darken up old horns works pretty good

Comment

Okay so here’s some photos I finally got to load. I soaked the sheds in soapy water for a few hours and brushed them off, I set them outside and let dry for a few days. Then I took some used coffee grounds as well as fresh one and made a soupy mess. I spread the soupy mess on to the sheds and horns allowed to dry outside on my make shift rack (a tomato thingy turned upside down) . I then brushed off the remaining grinds and will wait till it’s light again tomorrow to spray the horns with clear coat. The sheds I’ll have to try it again with a darker roast.
          Attached Files

Comment

I use potassium permagenate - it's an oxidizer and they sell it online and ebay and anyplace that sells stuff for koi fish ponds Each coat will darken more and soaking will permeate deeply. Turns purple when wet but everything it touches including your hands will turn brown. One of the big benefitsis it will seal the horns and buff to a bright shine even if hand buffing with a dry towel. It works so well that you can use it on blast white farm raised antler which has no pigment at all and it will look like a natural deer. Works fantastic on weathered sheds too. Elk, Axis, Deer, Sambar - just about any antler or horn
            Last edited by chopsknives; 01-22-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
              I use potassium permagenate - it's an oxidizer and they sell it online and ebay and anyplace that sells stuff for koi fish ponds Each coat will darken more and soaking will permeate deeply. Turns purple when wet but everything it touches including your hands will turn brown. One of the big benefitsis it will seal the horns and buff to a bright shine even if hand buffing with a dry towel. It works so well that you can use it on blast white farm raised antler which has no pigment at all and it will look like a natural deer. Works fantastic on weathered sheds too. Elk, Axis, Deer, Sambar - just about any antler or horn
              So wearing gloves is highly advised? Looks like I’ll have to try some of that on them. Would this be what you’re talking about? Is 100g enough? They have up to a 500g bottle I think for $37.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have used Minwax Provincial stain.

Comment

I found a skull and antlers completely bleached out white and used - Minwax "special walnut" color.

Comment

Taxidermy supply places sell stains that work great, as does minwax. But on the dog chewing the antlers, ours broke a tooth and vet said they see a ton of dogs now with broken teeth that have to be pulled, due to chewing on antlers. Expensive lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                      I found a skull and antlers completely bleached out white and used - Minwax "special walnut" color.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=675280
                      Thanks for that info. I just got back from Wally World with a small can of the Special Walnut stain. Gonna give it a go mañana some time!

Comment

I've even used Kiwi liquid shoe polish, brown.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                          Thanks for that info. I just got back from Wally World with a small can of the Special Walnut stain. Gonna give it a go mañana some time!
                          well ? How'd they turn out ?

Comment

yes sir that is the stuff. It is hands down the best way to darken your horns. just a drop of water is all you need . use a q tip or small paint brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                              well ? How'd they turn out ?
                              I’m quite pleased. The bottom one was about as white as they can get.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X