Slug gun??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    "N" designates a 3" 20ga receiver on the standard weight frame (12 ga frame). It was before they came out with the "LW" models. "X" at the end also designates the same, except it is a 2-3/4" receiver made from the standard weight frame. I have a custom barrel that was made for the "X" or "N" receivers. Older 870 barrels will not fit the newer LW 870 receivers of that time.
    Cool! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
      No, google sabot slug to learn the difference. Sabots are way more accurate than regular rifled slugs. I have a mossberg 695 that I wouldnt hesitate to take a kill shot out to 200yds with. It's a bolt action, rifled bore slug gun.
      If you have a rifled barrel I think you are only supposed to use sabot slugs, rifled slugs are for smooth barrel only.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        I have an 870 smooth bore with a scope on it and 18 inch barrel. I wish I could get it to shoot that good. It shoots about a 2” group at 50yrds the at 100 I have a hard time keeping it on paper. I might play with different slugs right now I shoot 3” 1oz Remington slugs.
        I would try different slugs. IA few years back I got some new remingtons that was supposed to be good out to 250 yards. I couldn't get them any better than 15" groups with any of my guns. I think they were too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          If you have a rifled barrel I think you are only supposed to use sabot slugs, rifled slugs are for smooth barrel only.
          I stated that earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
            I don't think so ive never ran into a bat tower out there just a bunch of stinky pigs a lot of rattle snakes and some deer
            Man have you really ran into that many rattlesnakes out there? I keep hearing people say that but I've hunted LR off and on for close 10 years and never laid eyes on one. I'm not doubting you I'm just trying to figure out if I need to start paying more attention to the ground instead looking ahead.

Comment

I have an H&R ultra slug hunter in 12 gauge. And a buddy I work with has the same but in 20 gauge. We have both stretched them to 200 yards and had groups we could cover with the palm of our hands. I also took a doe at 142 yrds at lake Waco Corp land two years ago. Dropped where she stood. Used the Hornady SSTs.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                I stated that earlier.
                So why post it a third time h

Comment

Same reason your policing post.

Comment

I only posted it once. Was just letting someone know that repeated what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      Man have you really ran into that many rattlesnakes out there? I keep hearing people say that but I've hunted LR off and on for close 10 years and never laid eyes on one. I'm not doubting you I'm just trying to figure out if I need to start paying more attention to the ground instead looking ahead.
                      ive ran into 4 personally my buddy into 5 in one day after the creek flooded this last week

Comment

The problem with the Mossberg slug barrel is the shotgun trigger. If you spend a little more cash and get the Savage 220 mentioned above (I have one as well and hunt in Illinois) you can easily shoot to 200 yards as it has the Accutrigger. A lot of your accuracy comes in the difference between a heavy shotgun trigger or a crisp rifle trigger.

Comment

Working...
                        X