Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the one “prepper” item you will go buy soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try to make Oscar proud here and just get all my quoting done at once lol

Originally posted by scotty View Post
    An electrician to connect my generator to the main breaker panel.
    ^^^this^^^

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
    It’s a long list but immediately a oil space heater and generator. Also a kerosene heater for garage.

Long term will be a solution that handles summer and winter. Over all self sufficient and not dependent on the gridiron

We’ve been without power for @11 days. Folks across the street ran a large kerosene heater that kept their living room in the mid to upper 60s...we already ordered one that I’ll use in my shop to take the chill out of in cold mornings and it will be nice to have as backup if we are ever stuck in this situation again. Plus it would be nice to have at deer camp

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
    They sell them at tractor supply. I bought a couple last week. Best decision I ever made!!! Lol

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
    Good to hear...thanks

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
    Probably add a wood burning stove this year

Yep. Our house is only 4 months old and our builder talked us out of a stove because it would void the warranty on the roof...I have full intentions of getting one just wanted to make sure the roof was good beforehand

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
    I would also like to add an extra liver to my prep.

To help ensure others had drinking water I unselfishly drank beer all week

The struggle is real lol

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
    High quality space heater. The ones i have are not sufficient in these temps with no power. A lot more firewood. Down to about two days worth. A bag of rock salt would be nice so i don’t bust my butt on the steps. I would have been fine had they not left us with no power for so long. Once the pipes froze there was nothing i could do.

Look into a kerosene heater...they work great and no shortage or lines to stand in to refill.
    The one we ordered was @$180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
      Gonna try to make Oscar proud here and just get all my quoting done at once lol

^^^this^^^

We’ve been without power for @11 days. Folks across the street ran a large kerosene heater that kept their living room in the mid to upper 60s...we already ordered one that I’ll use in my shop to take the chill out of in cold mornings and it will be nice to have as backup if we are ever stuck in this situation again. Plus it would be nice to have at deer camp

Good to hear...thanks

Yep. Our house is only 4 months old and our builder talked us out of a stove because it would void the warranty on the roof...I have full intentions of getting one just wanted to make sure the roof was good beforehand

The struggle is real lol

Look into a kerosene heater...they work great and no shortage or lines to stand in to refill.

U did excellent work sir!!! [emoji95][emoji95][emoji106][emoji95][emoji95] Deaux u have a link to that kerosene heater? Who sells kerosene these days? Shelf life on kerosene?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's kind of a nick knack type of item, but my sister in law had a solar phone/tablet charger she uses for hiking trips that came in handy. This item was helpful in recharging phones and back-up battery banks during the day. It was even somewhat cloudy outside and still worked.

I've done a little looking around and these things are fairly inexpensive ranging from $25 to $100. Not a bad item to throw in a survival pack.

Comment

Oscar I don’t think I can have a large propane tank in a subdivision in Katy. Katy has a ton of regulations, which is good for the most part. But I think I would need at least a 250 gallon tank to make propane powered generator practical. Just don’t see that happening on a 1/4 acre lot. Nor are we consider diesel. We are changing out electric ovens and cook top to natural gas.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
            It's kind of a nick knack type of item, but my sister in law had a solar phone/tablet charger she uses for hiking trips that came in handy. This item was helpful in recharging phones and back-up battery banks during the day. It was even somewhat cloudy outside and still worked.

I've done a little looking around and these things are fairly inexpensive ranging from $25 to $100. Not a bad item to throw in a survival pack.
            Do you know the brand/model? I was given one a few years ago and its worthless.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I need someone who can confirm or rule out whether a 13000 watt generator is sufficient to run my entire house. All electric with a 13 seer heat pump HVAC unit. I know it’s not enough to run the heat on emergency heat but can’t get an solid answer on regular HVAC.
              Probably would use electric range or washer dryer during a generator event but it would be a lot easier to just wire directly to the whole panel and install an interlock instead of building another panel strictly for generator use.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                They sell them at tractor supply. I bought a couple last week. Best decision I ever made!!! Lol

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
                I ordered one off of amazon yesterday. I have a double mantle lantern and a small single burner which are designed for the 1 lb bottles. I kinda gave up on the idea of refilling the bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                  I need someone who can confirm or rule out whether a 13000 watt generator is sufficient to run my entire house. All electric with a 13 seer heat pump HVAC unit. I know it’s not enough to run the heat on emergency heat but can’t get an solid answer on regular HVAC.
                  Probably would use electric range or washer dryer during a generator event but it would be a lot easier to just wire directly to the whole panel and install an interlock instead of building another panel strictly for generator use.

See post #74 for generic power demands. Might be possible to run some stuff, but short of all.

Comment

I'm going to buy at least one more mr buddy heater and a couple more 20# tanks. Probably a better battery backup for my modem and wifi so it will last at least 1 1/2 hours instead of 45 min.

Will also get some 1/2" and 3/4" shark bite caps to have on hand.

Hoping twin liquors has their $1 sale soon so I can get restocked.

Oh and more batteries for the smoke detectors and co2 sensors in the house. Talk about annoying when they go off at 2am after its been 8 hours of no electricity. I hadn't even started the mr buddy inside yet. I found which 2 were causing problems and actually had 2 batteries available. Luckily I didn't need more.
                    Last edited by BigL; 02-22-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Oscar I don’t think I can have a large propane tank in a subdivision in Katy. Katy has a ton of regulations, which is good for the most part. But I think I would need at least a 250 gallon tank to make propane powered generator practical. Just don’t see that happening on a 1/4 acre lot. Nor are we consider diesel. We are changing out electric ovens and cook top to natural gas.
                      We are in the same boat over here. My generator has a spigot for propane but I doubt it will ever get used.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife I are pretty hard core self reliant preppers. With that being said we one thing that we have not made a lot of provisions for is an emergency water supply. I keep 7 of the square blue jugs full (35 gallons) and I keep it fairly fresh. It would be easy to capture rainwater off our metal roof, but we have not done that as of yet.

We have over a 1/2 mile of the North Fabuis River that flows through our farm. We are on the headwaters of the North Fabuis. It flows down thru Missouri all the way to the Mississippi.

My neighbor has lived here for 50 years and he said he had never seen it stop flowing. It is not the prettiest, cleanest water, but with a good filter it would work for an emergency supply. I have a 2" electric submersible pump that I can run off a generator or a 5 gallon bucket would work in a pinch.

So... my item is a Big Berkey water filter.

The Big Berkey water filtration system is a top-selling and compact filtration system ideal for home. Backed by a lifetime warranty and free shipping.

Also. If you are into prepping watch this video. M.D. Creedmore has a sensible approach to being prepared. His approach matches ours and 4 of our neighbors philosophy on prepping that are farmers, cattle ranchers, a retired fireman, and us.

These 10 Types of Preppers Will Die First When SHTF

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-22-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Can you post a link?

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post

Hoping twin liquors has their $1 sale soon so I can get restocked.
                            Need more info. What do they usually sell

Comment

What is the one “prepper” item you will go buy soon?

My dad and I were just talking about the kerosene heater we had when when I was a kid. That thing cranked out some serious heat and we would normally end up having to turn it off because it would get out house too hot.
                              Last edited by JackRyan; 02-22-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                Need more info. What do they usually sell
                                Everything. They lower prices to $1 over cost for the sale.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X