No announcement yet.

2021 White Bass Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to the San Gabriel above Granger on consecutive weekends with no luck.
    Saw one guy with a nice stringer but overall it's very slow. Fly fisherman seem to have some luck.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
      Went to Granger yesterday on the San Gabriel at the steps and at Primitive boat ramp. Was pretty slow. Anyone been there recently?
      This front will shut Granger down. They want that water about 59* and as it gets warmer they'll get more active up the skinny water.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Been catching a few at circleville but the cool weather has turned them off for a week now! Was catching 15 to 20 every day for past 2 weeks until Wednesday last week

Comment

San Gabriel/circleville

Few Whites and crappie in the Gabriel
          Attached Files

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations for some bank fishing spots for whites in and around DFW?

Comment

My family used to camp at Gorman falls every spring break (when I was very young, pre-TPWD purchase). White bass were thick back then. Tons of old family photos with tons of whites. Later on, we had a small place below Max Starke Dam on the upper end of Lake Travis. We caught trainloads of white bass from the bank in the spring. I had decent trips to Reimers- but never consistent. I miss doing it and happy for those that have close access.

Comment

Anyone catching on the Sabine around Carthage yet?
                Disclaimer.. I didn’t read the entire thread. Sorry if it’s been posted

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                  I just got home from Arkansas and saw people on the banks fishing at 59. Lots of trailers on the Neches ramp also

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                    They aren't there just yet. My dad went up the Sabine last week (launched at Joaquin) and caught 2 in about 4 hours.

Comment

My son will be back at em hopefully soon and posting pics as soon as he gets something to drive again

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                        They make good fertilizer, fun to catch, but I'll stick to crappie for eating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        x2

Comment

I need a little Brazos river flow! Or I'm gonna have to resort to crappie fishing.

Guess I'm gonna have to fish one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            I need a little Brazos river flow! Or I'm gonna have to resort to crappie fishing.

Guess I'm gonna have to fish one way or another.
                            Lake Waco was 43* sunday afternoon may take a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                              Lake Waco was 43* sunday afternoon may take a bit!

The river areas and shallow flats will heat up long before the main lake bodies do . I've seen and noted as much as a 15 degree change in surface temps between the two, river/creek water vs main body water. We have some more warm days and temps coming this week and next. They sandies, will be looking for water temps in the 48-54 where the water is moving. A lot of the hatch survival rate depends on moving water for the eggs. They can and will drop eggs in the main lake. But survival rates go way down because lack of moving water to keep stuff off the eggs.

I've also caught my larger fish during Dec-Jan in flowing rivers below dams with a weighted bobber, and 3-5 foot leaders. Even when there's ice on the shore line, they will bite. Everybody has to eat sooner or later.

Got a coworker who was catching B-bass on Grandbury in 10'-15' last Sunday. I told him the depth he needs to focus on last Friday . He's fishing another tournament this coming weekend. He said he was surprised when he landed a 5+, two 4+ and several 3s. He lives on the lake. And fishes every chance he gets. It will be right back to the pattern that was happening before the cold came, this weekend. And then a very rapid pre-spawn staging with the warm weather we have coming.

If we don't have any water flow in the creeks and rivers, I'm going to focus on crappie. They will stage up in large groups waiting for the warmer water. And are usually right in and behind the sandies when the water is moving mildly. But hold to structure in groups until the water temps reach spawning temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                The river areas and shallow flats will heat up long before the main lake bodies do . I've seen and noted as much as a 15 degree change in surface temps between the two, river/creek water vs main body water. We have some more warm days and temps coming this week and next. They sandies, will be looking for water temps in the 48-54 where the water is moving. A lot of the hatch survival rate depends on moving water for the eggs. They can and will drop eggs in the main lake. But survival rates go way down because lack of moving water to keep stuff off the eggs.

I've also caught my larger fish during Dec-Jan in flowing rivers below dams with a weighted bobber, and 3-5 foot leaders. Even when there's ice on the shore line, they will bite. Everybody has to eat sooner or later.

Got a coworker who was catching B-bass on Grandbury in 10'-15' last Sunday. I told him the depth he needs to focus on last Friday . He's fishing another tournament this coming weekend. He said he was surprised when he landed a 5+, two 4+ and several 3s. He lives on the lake. And fishes every chance he gets. It will be right back to the pattern that was happening before the cold came, this weekend. And then a very rapid pre-spawn staging with the warm weather we have coming.

If we don't have any water flow in the creeks and rivers, I'm going to focus on crappie. They will stage up in large groups waiting for the warmer water. And are usually right in and behind the sandies when the water is moving mildly. But hold to structure in groups until the water temps reach spawning temps.
                                Interesting. Thanks for the tips. So that means crappie stacking to deep brush in river channels?

If weather is good may head up river after whites this weekend..

Comment

Working...
                                X