Lawn pre emergent time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Pre-emergent in the fall is a new thing to me. Never heard of it. I've always done it in the spring. Putting down a whole front yard of St Augustine sod down this week. Should I wait until the spring for my normal pre-emergent or hit the new sod in 4-5 weeks with it too?
    If it is a broadleaf pre emergent it will kill the St Augustine. Don't do anything to St Augustine without talking to someone at a nursery.

Comment

Randy Lemmon would kill Neil Sperry in a celebrity death match!

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
        Will pre-emergent harm established trees/shrubs? I have several relatively young trees in my yard and don't wanna killem.
        Supposed to be better for them than the weed and feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Pre-emergent in the fall is a new thing to me. Never heard of it. I've always done it in the spring. Putting down a whole front yard of St Augustine sod down this week. Should I wait until the spring for my normal pre-emergent or hit the new sod in 4-5 weeks with it too?
          The fall pre emergent is to prevent the spring weeds like clover and the ones that usually burn out by summer. If you forget that one you can spot control the broadleaf weeds. The spring emergent is the one that prevents the crab and Dallas grass which is a pain to get rid off when it’s in.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
            If it is a broadleaf pre emergent it will kill the St Augustine. Don't do anything to St Augustine without talking to someone at a nursery.

Thanks....I know it has different requirements than Bermuda but I was thinking I saw a St. Augustine pre-emergent the other day when I was looking. I'll certainly ask now.

Comment

I have bahiagrass taking over one side of my lawn. I’m going to attack with a pre emergent. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                I have bahiagrass taking over one side of my lawn. I’m going to attack with a pre emergent. Does anyone have any recommendations?
                I have had good luck with Martin's Topshot! It takes a few weeks to notice, but it works! I don't know of a pre-emergent to kill it...maybe there is one, but I don't know of it that is safe for my Centipede.

Comment

Not sure what the best is for each type of grass but I will say that I follow the labels to the T. They have a lot of info in them if you read and will tell you want you can and can’t use it near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What happened to April, May, Junee and July?!?! We already taking pre emergent?! ****e! Lol
                    Last edited by Soclose; 08-03-2020, 08:19 PM. Reason: Typing

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                      If I put down pre emergent, I may not have a nothing but dirt next year ��
                      If all you have is dirt, plant a food plot. I know you can do that !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        If all you have is dirt, plant a food plot. I know you can do that !

Lol!

I did plant a fall plot in my backyard last year. It did alright considering I planted pretty late and it doesnt get a lot of sun. I’m on 3.5 acres and have saint augustine up around the house that’s good and some centipede out in the front. Majority is green weeds lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          What?! The San Augustine has already “emerged” so it will not kill the grass. It is only to kill seeds that are sitting there ready to emerge. Do not put it down if you are planning to overseen this winter.

If you are buying new sod, it has already been treated this year. Probably with atrazine in the spring. I wouldn’t worry about preemergent until January on fresh sod.

Comment

I always heard to do nothing but water on new sod for at least 6 months

Comment

Thanks fellas... it’s been 22 years since I have thrown new sod .....and I’m lucky to remember what I had for dinner yesterday so thanks for the tips. [emoji23]....

Comment

I’m still fighting crab grass. Will laying down preemergant in a month and again in early spring knock it out?

Comment

Working...
                                X