13 Days to Glory - The Alamo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 4 - Friday, February 26, 1836

The Texians burned more jacales during the night. It soon became obvious that the Alamo's water well would not supply the needs of a 150+ people in the garrison. They would have to obtain water from the nearby acequia.

The overnight arrival of a norther dropped the temperatures to near freezing. As daylight broke, a Texian foray went outside the walls to obtain water and wood. A small skirmish erupted with the Mexican troops under General Sesma. Mexican casualties were slightly heavier than in earlier fights due to the Texian's eastern-facing cannon.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
        The flag that flew over the Alamo had the red white and green bars but it was not the Mexican flag. It had the date1824 on it to represent the Texans fight to restore the Mexican constitution of 1824. That was one of the reasons the rebelling started in East Texas, changes and amendments to that document.
        This is highly accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Wakehunter View Post
          My great grandfather (James George) was a volunteer at the Battle of Gonzales. He brought 2 oxen pulling a trailer filled with 2 bushels of peas to Gonzales Tx. The battle of Gonzales was essentially a battle between Mexico & Gonzales over a cannon (come and take it cannon) that was given to the residents of Gonzales to ward off comanche raids. Once the Texans defeated the Mexican Dragons at the battle of Gonzales, James George was asked to go and fight at the Alamo, He was also the person who transported the come and take it cannon to the Alamo with his oxen and trailer mentioned earlier. The Texas Government offered James a league of land (4,438 Acres) on Plum creek near Lockhart Tx. to arrive and fight at the Alamo. Unfortunately, James and his comerades all died at the Alamo, the land went to James' wife and children from which I decend. James' wife remarried and the land is still owned by that family to this day.
          I love this behind the scenes kind of history. Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakehunter View Post
            My great grandfather (James George) was a volunteer at the Battle of Gonzales. He brought 2 oxen pulling a trailer filled with 2 bushels of peas to Gonzales Tx. The battle of Gonzales was essentially a battle between Mexico & Gonzales over a cannon (come and take it cannon) that was given to the residents of Gonzales to ward off comanche raids. Once the Texans defeated the Mexican Dragons at the battle of Gonzales, James George was asked to go and fight at the Alamo, He was also the person who transported the come and take it cannon to the Alamo with his oxen and trailer mentioned earlier. The Texas Government offered James a league of land (4,438 Acres) on Plum creek near Lockhart Tx. to arrive and fight at the Alamo. Unfortunately, James and his comerades all died at the Alamo, the land went to James' wife and children from which I decend. James' wife remarried and the land is still owned by that family to this day.

Thanks for the post

Comment

Day Five – Saturday February 27, 1836

The fifth day of the siege was again cold with temperatures ranging in the 30s.

Having exhausted their own supplies, the Mexicans pillaged BŽjar of foodstuffs and perishables. When they in turn depleted these, they sent troops to nearby ranchos to forage livestock and corn.

In a decisive move, the Mexicans cut off the eastern acequia's water supply at its source: the San Antonio River. Not only did this end the minor skirmishes that had taken place from the beginning of the siege; it essentially eliminated the defender's major source of water. In the mean time, the Texians finished digging a new water well inside the walls.

The Matamoros battalion began work on trenches to the South of the Alamo compound. These entrenchments did not pass Santa Anna's inspection and so he ordered his men to dig new entrenchments closer to the Alamo under the direct supervision of General Amador.

Throughout the day, the Texians maintained constant fire on the Mexican work party. According to General Filisola, the Texians were seen working frantically on their own ditch inside the parapet of the cattle pen. This effort later proved fruitless and was harmful to the Alamo's defense by undermining the walls, essentially removing any walkway the defenders might have had exposing them to Mexican fire.

General Gaona received Santa Anna's letter of the 25th requesting him to send three battalions as quickly as possible. Gaona immediately complied, yet failed to forward any heavy siege guns because Santa Anna neglected to include this request in his dispatch.

Comment

As news of the Alamo's plight spread, Texans gathered at Gonzales preparing to go to their aid. The nearest garrison of any strength was 90 miles away at Goliad, commanded by Colonel James Fannin. The men gathering at Gonzales waited impatiently for days for Fannin to march and join them in going to Travis' succor. Fannin finally set out on February 26 with 320 men, four cannons, and several wagons filled with much needed supplies. However, only a mile out they returned to Goliad. Why Fannin failed to move is unknown. He blamed his officers, and they his indecision.
                Some 32 men from those in Gonzales, tired of waiting for Fannin to act, rode to the Alamo; where after a brief skirmish with a Mexican cavalry patrol, they arrived at the Alamo on the night of the 27th. They were greeted with joy by the beleaguered garrison.
                Unbeknownst to the men in the Alamo celebrating this small reinforcement, that same day Mexican General José de Urrea had defeated Texian Colonel Frank W. Johnson in a skirmish to the east; referred to (rather grandiosely) as the Battle of San Patricio; in which 200 Mexicans defeated a force of less than 50 Texians.
                http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=San+Patricio

Day Six – Sunday February 28, 1836

Mexicans receive intelligence that 200 Texian reinforcements from Goliad are en route to the Alamo.

The morale within the compound is high. According to Mrs. Dickinson, Crockett took up a fiddle and challenged John McGregor, a Scot with bagpipes, to a contest of instruments.

Day Seven – Monday February 29, 1836

The Mexican's Jimenez battalion and the cavalry under command of General Ramirez y Sesma are ordered down the Goliad road to intercept any reinforcements that might have been sent by Fannin.

The Mexicans propose a three-day armistice and several Tejanos leave Alamo during the cease-fire.

Comment

Our history is fascinating, as others have said I look forward to these every year. Keep beating the drum TMAG!

Comment

Love reading these every year! Thanks TMAG

Comment

This is why Texans are the way they are. With a history like ours and the way in which we gained independence it's extremely difficult to not be a proud Texan. Most of the time I consider myself a Texan 1st and an American 2nd.

Comment

Keep them coming!

" Most of the time I consider myself a Texan 1st and an American 2nd."

Comment

Keep it up

Comment

I love Texas history and enjoy reading this thread.

Comment

Looking forward to day 8.

Comment

Another very interesting read is Santa Anna's autobiography. I'm not going to ruin it for anyone who has not read, but there are some very interesting comments made by ole el presidente. It will give you a very good measure of his character. Or lack thereof......

Comment

Working...
                                X