Fall Food plot plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    When weeds are 3-4 feet tall, do you like to shred and then spray or spray then wait and shred?
    Prolly should’ve clarified. We typically spray then shred.

Comment

We’re shredding this weekend, and getting everything prepped. Plan to plant my mix in a few weeks, and pray for rain. Going with wheat and a few bags of wildlife mix, and then top dress with clover, after I drag the bigger seeds in. Running late this year with my prep work, I’ll disc in some pelletized lime before planting. Once it starts to sprout, I’ll hit it with some fertilizer.

Comment

Sprayed last weekend and will shred and disk this weekend to get the seed bed ready. I was thinking of getting some seed thrown this weekend too, but it looks like everyone waits till Mid Sept to start planting.
        I tried my first food plots last year and just as it started to take, all the rain came on flooded me out till this summer.
        I picked up 2 bags of Super Buck Mix from my local hunting store (Native Outdoors) that has Wheat, Oats, Winter Peas, Clover and Rape in it. I also picked up a bag of just Winter peas. I have about 3 acres to plant.
        I'm in Ellis County. Should I wait a couple of weekends to plant?

Comment

Got rained on hard this morning just as I was getting started. So, guess planting won't be for a couple more weeks now anyhow.

Comment

Buck Buster, Winter wheat and planting clover very heavy....moving away from the food plot scene and going straight clover I think.

Comment

$10 bag o wheat and a lil crimson clover
              I'm throwing all this down Sept 14th just like last year
              Last edited by texansfan; 09-01-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Im not likely to plant till 1st weekend in October.

Sprayed last weekend.

Spread 12 tons of lime and tilled it in this weekend.

Will come back out and spray again in two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                  I'm planting the same Buckforage Oats I've used for 15yrs. Deer love em
                  This

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

About 2 acres of oats. Just for bait.

Comment

I planted oats 2 years ago and they keep reseeding. Going to leave that alone since I expect it will come up again this year. And roll on with more oats

Comment

I need to get out and shred this week, my bigger and newer plot will need to be sprayed as well.
                        Gonna do a mix of plots but most will be plot spike oats(buck forage if I can get some local) and a mix of peas, clover and turnips. My deer really liked the dacon radishs and turnip greens last yr. They don't touch the actual turnips tho.

Comment

Got my plan finalized. Standard till and plant in the sanctuary. Going to try throw, roll, and spray method at my clearcut spot. I have some vessy/Johnson grass that is 6-8’ y’all so hopefully it will create a good seed bed. First time trying this method on a fall plot. Both of these spot are right at 2 acres each.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Mix of cereal rye, clover and turnips.

Comment

Sprayed my plots 2 weeks ago. Will plant BFO in first week of October (hopefully just before a good rain).

Comment

We just planted a little over 2 acres worth of Tecomate Max Attract a couple weeks ago. It is a mix of Peas, Clovers, Chicory, Cereal Grains. We complimented this with a 13-13-13 fertilizer.

It is our first time planting so we are curious to see how it comes out!

Comment

Working...
                                X