Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clover, oats, and cereal rye for me.

Comment

We've been using Turner Seed's "fall deer mix" the past 11 years (on 20 total acres of plot). We also sprinkle in Pogue's clover/turnip/radish mix. It's been fairly consistent for us. Army worms have been awful the past 2 years though...

We typically shred/spray, then no-till drill into that thatch a few weeks/month later.

I am bulldozing 5 new acres this weekend though. Hoping to maybe deep disk it in September and throw something on it before the freezes. I kind of want to experiment on the new plot with something besides Turners mix. Thinking maybe just straight crimson clover and wheat? Don't really know what wheat to plant??

Comment

I’ve got ~17 acres turned over at the house. Will plant wheat, clover, and turnip combo. Already have some really good clover (for this time of year) established in the hay meadows.

Started bush hogging over at camp and I’m hoping to get about 20 acres planted over there in the same mix if I can get done with the mowing. It’s got plenty of clover and lespedeza as it is, but would like to get some good green plots in for hunting purposes.

Comment

If we ever get rain, oats plus cow peas and radish.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
            I'm planting the same Buckforage Oats I've used for 15yrs. Deer love em
            x2

Only my second year but they did great last year.

Comment

Likely going with only oats or Buckforage oats myself this year.

Comment

I plant a pretty big variety....Turnips, Radish, Crimson Clover, Elbon Rye, Wheat, and Oats.
                I may try a little Triticale this year just out of curiosity.

I planted my turnips and Radish on Monday just before the rain. Last year I planted everything around the middle of September and the brassicas never got big enough to grow bulbs.... so I wanted to try them a little earlier this year. I'll plant the cereal grains sometime after the 15th whenever there is rain in the forecast.

Comment

Checking to see if my local feed store can get Barduro Red clover and Neches White clover. Red they are suppose to perform well in east Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                    I'm planting the same Buckforage Oats I've used for 15yrs. Deer love em

Where do you get this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      Where do you get this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Sendero seed Co. Rob Hughes.
                      Not sure where the retailer in you area is but you can get it shipped too. I got it at the San Antonio TTHA Show.

Comment

I will begin my planning in the coming weeks. I will plant in October around rain

Comment

Turner seed company fall mix x 2

Has a little bit of everything for them. Used it the past 3 seasons and really like it. Based out of Breckenridge Tx.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamL View Post
                            Turner seed company fall mix x 2

Has a little bit of everything for them. Used it the past 3 seasons and really like it. Based out of Breckenridge Tx.
                            I really would like to try it, but shipping will kill me

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post

We typically shred/spray, then no-till drill into that thatch a few weeks/month later.
                              ??
                              When weeds are 3-4 feet tall, do you like to shred and then spray or spray then wait and shred?

Comment

I mowed last weekend and I’ll be planting next weekend. I’m planting a 1 acre plot in Tecomate Max Attract and a 2 acre plot in Tecomate Monster Mix. I’ve never used either seed before but I’ve had good success with some of their other seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X