Fall Food plot plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Food plot plans?

What is everyone’s fall food plot plans? I haven’t firmed mine up yet but I am thinking a cereal grain base of wheat and oats, with some red clover and daikon radishes and maybe some winter peas. I have read mixed reviews on the winter peas...

In the process of planning this ourselves. In for info.

Comment

I like to plant Wheat and oats. And most of the time I throw in some turnip seeds too

Comment

We are going straight oats. We planted a mix last year but there were so many desirable natives they only touched the oats and rye. So this year, all oats.

Comment

planting Whitetail Institute Oats Plus with Fusion and no-till over 4 acres.

Not all mixed. Will plant oats and fusion together in open areas and oats and no till together in wide pine rows.

Comment

Shredding this weekend, soil samples sent off for fertilizer requirements. I will spray in a couple weeks with a 3% gly solution. Wait till mid October, sling fertilizer, light disc (1-2 inch deep), broadcast seed and pray for rain. This year will be Elbon Rye, radish, turnips and another field of BOB Oats and winter wheat.

Comment

What about triticale?

Comment

The deer at my place love young sunflower plants, they ignore everything else till the sunflowers are mowed down to the bare dirt.

I planted 2 acres each of sunflower, milo, millet. in late summer for doves.

When everything got 3 or 4 inches high the deer hit the sunflowers like a turbo charged lawnmower, after the sunflowers were gone they went after the milo,
                never touched the millet.

Comment

I'm planting the same Buckforage Oats I've used for 15yrs. Deer love em

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    I will spray in a couple weeks with a 3% gly solution. Wait till mid October, sling fertilizer, light disc (1-2 inch deep), broadcast seed
                    Just curious, what does this do? Trying to learn before I try to plant mine as well. Good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      I will spray in a couple weeks with a 3% gly solution.
                      Just curious, what does this do? Trying to learn before I try to plant mine as well. Good info.

Comment

Feed store wheat and crimson clover.

Comment

Mowed last weekend. Getting soil tested and putting down lime this weekend. Tilling next weekend, and then planting a mix towards the end of September

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            Kills off any weeds that are still green and gives the seeds a chance to sprout up good. Basically eliminates competition for rain and nutrients. We have weeds and grasses down here that will grow all winter long. I try not to disc to deep because it blends in weed seed that will sprout up in the spring. If I was smart I would own a no till till drill and a crimper, but I cant buy one with my looks.

I quit planting Elbon rye and wheat or oats in the same plot. That elbon rye will take off and choke out everthing else, I kinda figured I was wasting money by plantings wheat and oats with rye. Elbon rye is pretty good stuff and drought resistant but them army worms will gobble it up quick.
                            Last edited by Radar; 08-29-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Already started my plot prepping. I have mowed all the plots and am in the process of "raking" the plots to remove the thick layer of thatch from the mowing with a skid steer and root grapple. I will next apply Glyphosate using a 6' boom sprayer in the back of our mule at a rate of 2oz per gallon. In 2 weeks I will come back with our plot master and prepare the seed beds. I will follow that up the next week with planting all the plots in winter wheat. After they have been planted I will use a manual spreader and top the plots with a clover blend and then run just the culitpacker over it to ensure good soil contact.....At least that's my plan for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X