No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone see any bucks this weekend, I saw way more hunters out for opening archery than I have ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
      anyone see any bucks this weekend, I saw way more hunters out for opening archery than I have ever seen!
      The internet has a way of killing decent hunting areas.

Comment

Texas is so short on walk-in access for public land that this is to be expected. On the bright side, at least people are getting out and enjoying our public lands!

In my experience, there only two types of hunters. Type I hunters are everyone in your hunting party, Type II hunters are all of the other *****holes out there. I’m Type I and Type II!

Comment

Did not see another hunter this morning. Nothing like a back country off trail hike at meredith to make you feel small and out of shape!

Stalked in really close to a buck this morning and the does he was with busted me.

Comment

Anyone else avoid hunting the lake when it is going to be windy?

Comment

Tough hunting but beautiful scenery.

Comment

Met a couple from Houston hunting out at lower plum this weekend, if you are on here PM me please.

Comment

The wind is your friend, makes stalking so much easier. My buddy got a forked horn mulie opening weekend in about 30mph winds. He actually stalked in upwind of them but the wind was blowing so hard they couldnt wind him. It also makes everything move and masks movement and sound. Nothing better than a nice strong wind when mule deer hunting.

Comment

I don't avoid it but do change my tactics. On a high wind day I will cover more ground trying to find bedded bucks and then use the wind to stalk up on them.

Comment

I hear you guys, I tend to avoid the windy days because I have hell finding them bedded! I have more of a chance seeing them when it is not windy. Need to be more patient and glass more.

Comment

What plan of attack do you guys use for mule deer; get up top deep in a canyon and glass the bottom/sides, or stay low deep in a canyon and glass up? I ask because my plan as of now is to get as far back in a Canyon as possible before sunrise, and then glass the bottoms/sides. I’m just curious if this is decent plan or not.

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
                          What plan of attack do you guys use for mule deer; get up top deep in a canyon and glass the bottom/sides, or stay low deep in a canyon and glass up? I ask because my plan as of now is to get as far back in a Canyon as possible before sunrise, and then glass the bottoms/sides. I’m just curious if this is decent plan or not.
                          You don't want to be skylined, but I think getting deep enough to glass is worthwhile. I'll say you want to glass where you think the mule deer will be, and be mindful of the sun.

Comment

Anybody braving the elements and getting out in the snow this weekend? I don’t know how much snow fell up there, but it looked like a pretty good blanket on radar.

Comment

All the snow will be gone by Saturday at the latest. We received a little over one inch just across the state line and it is mostly gone already. With temps forecasted in the 70s on Saturday, anything remaining will just contribute to a muddy mess.

Comment

Taking my boy camping out there for his birthday Sat., will hunt a little but will mostly be letting him shoot his bb gun and bow around camp!

It is the youth early weekend, don't forget your hunter orange if you are bow hunting this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X