Field Judging Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Judging Axis

I’m relatively new to field judging length on axis. I think my excitement gets the best of me, as I get as ecstatic as a kid when a good one walks out.

I’ve tried reading online, but different folks say different things. How do y’all do it? About how long do the antlers have to be to be even with the top of the back?

I tried to post pics of one I saw a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it isn’t letting me post them. Would like to see how big you’d think he’d be.

I just shoot them then measure these days... but when feeding and their horns are at their back they will be 30”

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
      I’m relatively new to field judging length on axis. I think my excitement gets the best of me, as I get as ecstatic as a kid when a good one walks out.

I’ve tried reading online, but different folks say different things. How do y’all do it? About how long do the antlers have to be to be even with the top of the back?

I tried to post pics of one I saw a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it isn’t letting me post them. Would like to see how big you’d think he’d be.
      PM sent I'll help post the pic.

Comment

Lets see if this works....
        Attached Files

Comment

One more. I say he is 30", but I tuned in to this thread because I was looking for input as well. lol
          Attached Files

Comment

I shot one (see thread Monster Axis). I thought he was a medium sized axis deer, but I was more than happy with killing him. Boy was I wrong, he was a lot bigger than expected. Judging seems very difficult, but I'm a newb axis deer hunter.

Comment

He's over 30"

Comment

Hard to judge

Sometimes they are hard to judge. I shot this one a week ago. I’ll let you guess and then I’ll tell you the longest beam length.
                Attached Files

Comment

Y’all can guess the length on this big boy my hunter killed Saturday afternoon. I think anyone would be pleased with this axis

I also darted this one a couple weeks ago. His beam length is almost as good as the dead one. Caudles don’t even compare to the dead one. Dead axis has a 12 and 10 inch caudle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wide bucks like that will fool you on length. I'd guess the buck in the pics is about 32". He's a solid buck but he's not old.

MillsJake - 33.5" tall?

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                      Wide bucks like that will fool you on length. I'd guess the buck in the pics is about 32". He's a solid buck but he's not old.

MillsJake - 33.5" tall?

34" even on the long side

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                        Sometimes they are hard to judge. I shot this one a week ago. I’ll let you guess and then I’ll tell you the longest beam length.
                        Very nice! Those caudles are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                          34" even on the long side
                          Knew I was close. That's a great buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post

MillsJake - 33.5" tall?
                            Thanks for the input! I had him around 32-34”. The side view really made me want to lean toward 32”. I also agree he is young, too.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                              Very nice! Those caudles are awesome!

Thank you and yeah that long caudle is wavy if you look from the side. Hes pretty cool looking, if only the right was the same length

Comment

Working...
                              X