Kodiak, Alaska*** Have you lived there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodiak, Alaska*** Have you lived there?

My son just chose his next duty station for the Coast Guard. He will be moving to Kodiak at the end of the year. I expect to be helping them move. I am considering buying him a toy to deliver if I end up driving up there for the move.

What would he get more use out of 4wheeler, UTV, or snowmobile? I'm sure the answer is both because of the very distinct different seasons. If I can find a used combination for a great price I might spring for both but buying one is more realistic.

Buy a UTV and tracks to put on in the winters

Comment

Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher were both stationed there with the Coast Guard. I'll ask them.

Comment

If I am not mistaken AtTheWall was stationed in Kodiak with the Coasties. I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

Comment

Is he in aviation or boat world.

Comment

He is in aviation. Going through AMT school now.

Comment

Congrats to him!

If I first visited Kodiak before I had a family I may have never come back!

Comment

Utv

Comment

You sir need to go hunt sheep goat and brown/Grizz as soon as he is a resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are excited about the move but have a lot to learn.

Comment

I don't know the ins and outside of Alaska hunting. I heard from a friend that moved up there that he had to be a resident for a year before he was considered a resident for a license. I didn't know my son being a resident would impact anything about my hunting.

Comment

a boat

Comment

Originally posted by rhester View Post
                          I don't know the ins and outside of Alaska hunting. I heard from a friend that moved up there that he had to be a resident for a year before he was considered a resident for a license. I didn't know my son being a resident would impact anything about my hunting.

First of kin rule. If your son lives there you can hunt the big 3 without an outfitter

Comment

A boat.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              First of kin rule. If your son lives there you can hunt the big 3 without an outfitter

Once he's a resident, yes. I think you only have to live there six months to be a resident if you are .mil. I love Kodiak. The only down side is that most of the island is only accessible by plane or boat. That's probably one of the most dangerous Coast Guard assignments though. He'll spend a good bit of time rescuing commercial fishermen in really bad weather. Thank him for serving for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X