No announcement yet.

Long range hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have misunderstood the OP but I thought he was referring to the ability of the guide to get someone to within 900 yards vs the ability to get them within bow range. I don't care who shoots what but I can see where it would be much easier to guide someone who didn't have to be very close.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.
      Hammer meet nail!! Well said

Im in the planning stages of an antelope hunt for 2020 and will practice shots over my normal routine. 'Just in case' however, I don't expect to shoot 900 at an animal. That said, I would like to sit on a prairie dog town with my 204 and see how far I can hit one

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
        I may have misunderstood the OP but I thought he was referring to the ability of the guide to get someone to within 900 yards vs the ability to get them within bow range. I don't care who shoots what but I can see where it would be much easier to guide someone who didn't have to be very close.

This [emoji1303] was my point lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          I guess I should clarify. I see nothing wrong with shooting stuff that far if that’s what it takes to get the job done. It’s more of the fact people are guiding someone for the purpose of shooting that far that is weird to me. I just find it super weird to set up for a 900 yard shot when it would be super easy to get a 300 yard shot.

I was just poking fun at people willing to pay to get that far from an animal, I wonder what they would pay to get 10 yards lol.

Yeah, I misunderstood in the beginning. I removed my first reply.

I aint that good of a shot with any weapon, so the closer the better for me. I cant even shoot doves with a shotgun at 25 yards. I prefer my misses under 25 yards

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            I guess I should clarify. I see nothing wrong with shooting stuff that far if that’s what it takes to get the job done. It’s more of the fact people are guiding someone for the purpose of shooting that far that is weird to me. I just find it super weird to set up for a 900 yard shot when it would be super easy to get a 300 yard shot.

I was just poking fun at people willing to pay to get that far from an animal, I wonder what they would pay to get 10 yards lol.

I can totally see what you mean here. I’ll admit that I could easily build my hunting setups for less than 100yd shots. I actually did make one this year that is less than 50yds max distance. First time in years that I’ll hunt a location like this. However, most of my hunting setups (3) are purposely in areas to utilize the max distance possible....out to 1050 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
              Since this is “my thing”, I’ll bite.
              I agree it’s not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, it’s not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
              Is it “hunting”? That’s to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if it’s really “hunting”. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the “ethical kill” soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldn’t be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didn’t get posted.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.
              Good response - I’ve always had two questions when I hear about long range shots. First, whenever I’ve shot long range for the fun of it at steel targets it seems to take a long time for the bullet to hit the steel (honestly longer than I would think). In hunting situations does the deer not hear the shot and take a step? Practically just curious as to how the actual kill goes down. Second, I’ve never hunted in a situation where I couldn’t get way closer than 1,000 yards. What types of situations require these long shots? Thanks

Comment

I do not want to take away from your ability to hit at that range...But after hunting over 60y with bow/gun ...And have been in on 100s of recovers and searches.most were fello hunters.
                The biggest problem I have seen is Finding the Spot Game was Standing or which Spot did he go out of sight.....To start the search.......and were talkin 10Y to 300y shots
                Thats got to be a Major Factor when talkin 1/2 MILE

Comment

My goal this year is to shoot a pig at 1000 yards. Longest so far is 675.

Comment

I still prefer to close the distance. Prairie Dogs at 1K sounds fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Alta View Post
                      Good response - I’ve always had two questions when I hear about long range shots. First, whenever I’ve shot long range for the fun of it at steel targets it seems to take a long time for the bullet to hit the steel (honestly longer than I would think). In hunting situations does the deer not hear the shot and take a step? Practically just curious as to how the actual kill goes down. Second, I’ve never hunted in a situation where I couldn’t get way closer than 1,000 yards. What types of situations require these long shots? Thanks
                      Speed of sound is roughly 1100 fps. As long as the bummer is moving faster than that...it’ll hit target before they ever knew it

Comment

Why though? Shooting steel and shooting animals are two different things and if you can close the distance to make a more ethical shot, why would you purposely choose not to? It would be equivalent to having a whitetail inside of 20 yards broadside and saying, “nah I’d rather let him get out to 40”.

Comment

I think it is odd to set up hunting situations so that you can take a long shot. That is turning hunting into golf.

If a long shot is required by the situation, then so be it.

Of course, compound bows and ozonics are two of many odd things I hunt with.
                          Last edited by El General; 10-10-2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                            Why though? Shooting steel and shooting animals are two different things and if you can close the distance to make a more ethical shot, why would you purposely choose not to?
                            I don't think that range and ethics are tied together. There are too many variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Alta View Post
                              If you are referring to the sound of the bullet hitting the steel, you need to remember that time consists of the time it takes the bullet to reach the target, PLUS the added time it takes the sound of the impact to travel all the way back to your firing location. Yes, that can seem like a long time.

Comment

This topic has turned south more than once in the past here......Bottom line......whatever/however we choose to hunt, we should all be able to get along. Way too many things in the world today to grind your axe over.....how or what we hunt shouldn’t be one of them. I have a long list of hunting dislikes.....people who shoot bears. Elephants. Big cats. At the end of the day, I still need to be able to find some common ground with a fellow hunter and let him have his thing and I’ll have mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X