2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbrison View Post
    On a calm day or in a ground blind they work amazing. A lil wind and they don’t work as good. Atleast for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2

Comment

In early sept, I’m thinking of heading to cinnamon creek or a spot in lbj to set up some 3D and shoot before the season starts! Getting more scenario shooting in.

Comment

I feel like I say this every single year but I wanna get out and get a set up out there and hunt...I just wanna put an arrow through a deer! This thread has me saying it AGAINNNNNN! I guess it’s the intimidation factor of never doing it and having no clue what I am doing

Comment

will be my first year hunting in LBJ and public land in general, I plan on going out there in 2-3 weeks for a little scouting, I work pretty close to LBJ and stay at the office 2-3 days a week so ill have plenty of time to hunt and scout ect….no clue where to start but you gotta start somewhere

Comment

Dang it's hot this week.
            Last week would have been good, but was too busy at work to get out

Comment

It cools off this Sunday a bit.

Comment

I've been reading up on these threads for a while now and finally built up enough excitement to give it a try. This will be my first year heading out to LBJ and first on public land in general.

I've been looking at maps any chance I get and will get out in the next week or two to do a lot of walking and scouting. This season may be a crap shoot, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot if nothing else.

Anyone have any advice on etiquette? When bow season comes I don't want to be walking through the woods blowing anyone's setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack15 View Post
                  I've been reading up on these threads for a while now and finally built up enough excitement to give it a try. This will be my first year heading out to LBJ and first on public land in general.

I've been looking at maps any chance I get and will get out in the next week or two to do a lot of walking and scouting. This season may be a crap shoot, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot if nothing else.

Anyone have any advice on etiquette? When bow season comes I don't want to be walking through the woods blowing anyone's setups.
                  In my experience if you exit after 10am almost everyone will have left or are wrapping up. Most people I've run into understand that its public land that's just a part of it. If you do walk through a set just wave and move along quickly and others will appreciate it. I've had folks get out of their stand to talk and ask what I've seen so I wouldn't worry too much. The fact that you're asking probably means you've got common courtesy and will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack15 View Post

I killed a doe my first sit ever at LBJ! You never know what can happen out there. Something I've learned about pub hunting is that you don't really bump into as many hunters as you'd think. AND you will inevitable run into someone's set. If you do, just back out or try to continue your travel so as to intrude the other hunter's setup as minimally as possible. I find that many pub hunters show have the same mindset.

Biggest thing with being a rookie pub hunter is just get out there, hunt and learn. Expect to get skunked; it is a whole different ballgame than feeder hunting, like most of TX is used to!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
                      In my experience if you exit after 10am almost everyone will have left or are wrapping up. Most people I've run into understand that its public land that's just a part of it. If you do walk through a set just wave and move along quickly and others will appreciate it. I've had folks get out of their stand to talk and ask what I've seen so I wouldn't worry too much. The fact that you're asking probably means you've got common courtesy and will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      im in the same boat as him and had the same questions, thanks for clarifying that

Comment

Just for clarification, this thread pertains to the National Grasslands north of Ft.Worth, correct? Also, that area is restricted to Archery, Muskets, and Non-Archery (Crossbow).

The Caddo portion is north of Mckinney and you are able to use a rifle out there?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                          Just for clarification, this thread pertains to the National Grasslands north of Ft.Worth, correct? Also, that area is restricted to Archery, Muskets, and Non-Archery (Crossbow).

The Caddo portion is north of Mckinney and you are able to use a rifle out there?

Caddo I wouldn’t know but on the grasslands shotgun with slug or buck shot is legal also

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                            Caddo I wouldn’t know but on the grasslands shotgun with slug or buck shot is legal also

I just want to make sure I'm in the right thread LOL.

Comment

I hunted public land while I was in college in Virginia. It is amazing how deer pattern people. I would start by going off a topo map and then I would spend a day driving roads finding parking areas. I would then put boots on the ground and do a lot of walking. I would record everything on a map and GPS. I would find food sources (mainly white oaks) in areas other people didn't hunt. It worked well, I tagged out every year. I'm not saying I shot monster bucks but if you put in the work you will be successful. The biggest thing that helped me was recording everything on maps.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post

LBJ National Grasslands in the Decatur, TX area. Methods are bow, cross bow, shotgun and mussel-loader.

Comment

Working...
                                X