Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wechebuck View Post
    What age group?
    Been with them since he was 8 .. hes on 10u red.
    He was just out there tonight catching bullpens for gaige's private lessons before teams rolled in for their practices.
    Last edited by systemnt; 01-15-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      Been with them since he was 8 .. hes on 10u red.
      He was just out there tonight catching bullpens for gaige's private lessons before teams rolled in for their practices.
      My son plays for the Lobos. Pretty sure we played you guys back in October. Scrappy team from what I remember.

Comment

My son plays for the Lobos. Pretty sure we played you guys back in October. Scrappy team from what I remember.
        Were yall at the cages last wednesday doing some hitting?

Comment

We were not but some of our kids take lessons from David.

Comment

We were not but some of our kids take lessons from David.
            Yeh i met one of them while we were doing bullpens last wednesday.. and i remember ya'll ..that game went down to the wire if i remember.
            Good luck to ya'll this spring!

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              Yeh i met one of them while we were doing bullpens last wednesday.. and i remember ya'll ..that game went down to the wire if i remember.
              Good luck to ya'll this spring!
              Yes it did. Good luck to you guys as well!

Comment

Gettin all the tools ready...I’m bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Gettin all the tools ready...I’m bored.

Is Snoop going to rock the Nokona or the A2000 Special Edition?

Comment

I still don’t have the A2000 broke in all the way, but I’m gonna make him use it in practice some. I don’t want to break it all the way in with my hand in it.

He loves them both like his dogs.[emoji23]

Comment

How much for the snickers

Comment

Originally posted by rtarcher View Post
                        Looking at great responses and hoping for more from my earlier post. Keep em coming!

Todd
                        It sounds like you are on the right path by encouraging him to stick with baseball (for now) but also letting him scratch the golfing itch.

At some point before he leaves the house, however, you would be wise to let him make his own choices and be his own man without any input or manipulation.

My son walked away from football prior to his Junior year in spite of being the 14th ranked at his position in the state for his class. Lots of folks were disappointed (his parents included) but he learned to make his own decision in the face of opposition all around. Fact is there was no right or wrong answer...and the decision won't matter in 20 years...but I pray he does the same thing when it counts down the road, and others are pushing him to do something he knows is wrong in his heart.

In the end - if you think he is making a decision he'll regret based on fear then it may be right to gently intervene...but if he's just trying to be his own man you have to get behind that!

Comment

Originally posted by rtarcher View Post
                          What age and team are all your boys, if you're comfortable with sharing? My son, 8th grade, is playing 14U as he did this past Fall. He is with an organization that has teams in San Antonio (where we live) and teams in Abilene. The organization founder called me during the Spring of 13U season to ask if my son would join his team for the the first of their last three tournaments. He did, then they asked if my boy would play with them for the USSSA South State and the State tourneys that followed. Fast forward to last Fall and subsequently this Spring, the West Texas team has again chosen to have my son on their team as opposed to the local SA team. We enjoy it because the WT team is better organized and is a more competitive team. Also, my son gets to practice locally. He will be playing AAA/Major (AA last spring). I say all this, but here's the kicker. My son wants to play golf.

My son started playing golf with a buddy of his this past Summer that lives on a local course. At first, I bought him a very inexpensive set of clubs. As time progressed, he borrowed clubs from his friend as his hitting improved. For Christmas, I bought him a full set of Callaway clubs from the pre-owned Callaway website. I've taken him to Top Golf a few times and have been with him to the driving range on many occasions. He has a great, natural swing though his consistency in hitting straight is lacking as well as his putting skills. He is getting better, and I'm sure will continue to improve. His best friend, who he has been playing with, goes to a different middle school and will go to a different high school come this Fall, but is pursuing golf for this 8th grade year and beyond. They both grew up playing baseball together, my son since the age of three (10 years). The friend was a less than average baseball player and quit after his 12U Spring season as he did not make the cut for the select team my son played for, he and his dad had seen the writing on the wall.

My son has reported that he doesn't have the drive to play baseball as much as he does to play golf. When it's game day and he's in the field, he loves it, and he admits to that. Here is my dilemma: My son is an above average baseball player in both the fielding and batting categories, though he is not a pitcher and not a homerun hitter. He plays CF and 2nd and bats around .275 per season. He is fast, has a great eye for the ball in play on the ground or in the air, smart play maker, and has a decent arm. His draw back, and I think what gives him an inferiority complex, is his size. He has not had a growth spurt yet. He is the smallest player on any team he has played on. Even though he played quarter back for the middle school team in both 7th and 8th grade, it was on "B" team, and he gets frustrated at his lack of size. He will be 14 in March this year. He will also be going into 9th grade in the Fall. If he continues to play baseball at the level he is capable of, he still may not make the high school JV team (there is not a freshman team) unless he has a huge growth spurt in the next 6 to 9 months. Coaches, in my opinion, will see him as not mature in physical stature, and will pass him over. Now if he does sprout up, he would easily be able to make that team come Spring of 2021. The question is, what do I do about golf? he will be trying to play for his middle school team in a month or so against kids who have been playing since they were 3 or so. I feel he is a disadvantage trying to compete being so fresh, even though I think he will get there soon, to compete with other 8th graders. Just not sure how he could make a high school team, as I'm sure that is a lot more competitive.

We are trying to do both this Spring, splitting our time at the driving range and at the field/batting cage. I could go on and on, but this is long enough already. I didn't know I would go on this long. Any input is appreciated!

I forgot. I really want him to play baseball, almost to the point of pushing him into it more. Of course, I don't want to push too hard to alienate him. I just don't see golf as being advantageous for him in the near future.

Todd
                          My son is 11, and makes 12u date by 15days but plays up, he will be playing on a 13u majors team this spring. We play spring baseball, fall football, and winter basketball. I’ve always said one of the most unfair things in this world is jr high sports. There are boys on the same field trying to compete with young men. It is really evident in these large Katy schools. Good thing is it always levels out in high school. As for golf, if one of my kids had the talent to play any sport at a professional level I would prefer to see his name on the back of his caddy. Sounds like you’re doing your best to balance time and allow him to pursue what he wants. What he wants could change next year. My wife and I are as guilty as anyone when it comes to pushing to hard and setting an extremely high bar. I try to to remind myself that it has to be fun for him too, it can’t always be work. I’ve quit “coaching/hollering” at him during games. When we’re walking up I just tell him the same 2 things, suck less and go have fun.

Comment

That’s funny Stuck. For probably 5 years the only thing I say to my kid before games is “Don’t Suck”. After games it is just “That sucked or You Didn’t Suck that up”. It’s now almost a joke.
                            Best advice I can give you guys is Don’t talk about the game or their outing after the game - Go feed the growing kid and if they talk just listen.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              That’s funny Stuck. For probably 5 years the only thing I say to my kid before games is “Don’t Suck”. After games it is just “That sucked or You Didn’t Suck that up”. It’s now almost a joke.
                              Best advice I can give you guys is Don’t talk about the game or their outing after the game - Go feed the growing kid and if they talk just listen.
                              Toughest thing to do for sure!

One good idea I heard someone do was send thier kid a text on Monday just kind of saying, "...hey, here are a few things I saw..." And that's it, be constructive with it and don't bring it up again. If the kid wants to talk about any of it after that let him bring it up.

As dumb as they think we (dad's) are, sometimes there are obvious mistakes that can be fixed with a quick phrase, it's super tough to sit back and just watch, but I'm getting better.

Comment

That sitting back and just watching is going to be tough for me, but I'm trying. I played at the collegiate level and have been a high school baseball coach for 15 years. My 7u had his first practice last night playing select and it was definitely different. Saw some things that other coaches did that I don't necessarily agree with, but they are the coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X