Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SHNF.....Can I Carry a Handgun while Scouting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHNF.....Can I Carry a Handgun while Scouting??

Hey all.

Quick question. I have been wanting to go and do some looking around in SHNF for places to hunt hogs. I’d likely start on the west side near Conroe. I am wondering a couple things before I go.

1. Am I required to wear hunter orange if I am just walking in and around the Lone Star Trail and off of it? I very likely would do it out of safety and caution, but would like to know if it’s required.

2. Can I carry a pistol that IS NOT concealed? This would be strictly for protection and I would likely have a couple snake shot with me too.

I talked to one of the wardens a while back that has SHNF as his area and he told me there isn’t any problem at all carrying a pistol and “lots of people do it.” The difference was that I was asking him about doing it during hog hunting with my TRAD gear. I know handgun hunting in SHNF is legal but I could very well be going there when deer hunting season is in effect and I wouldn’t want to run into any kind of trouble with a warden thinking I was trying to sneakily take a deer with a handgun.

Any advice or suggestions you care to give me would be appreciated. Thank you kindly for your time.

Larry

I spoke to GW a couple weeks ago about the handgun question. Now bear in mind this was a WMA, but I don’t think it would change, but he told me that because it was federal lands in order to carry a handgun you had to have a concealed carry permit, even if the weapon was being carried openly.

I hope someone else chimes in because I thought this was interesting

Comment

You're best off having your LTC and wearing the required Hunter orange just to cover your behind. It's better to cover your bases than getting a citation.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
        I spoke to GW a couple weeks ago about the handgun question. Now bear in mind this was a WMA, but I don’t think it would change, but he told me that because it was federal lands in order to carry a handgun you had to have a concealed carry permit, even if the weapon was being carried openly.

I hope someone else chimes in because I thought this was interesting
        That’s what the USFS law enforcement officer told me as well in DCNF.

Comment

State law requires the handgun to be concealed if you are bow hunting. Go figure

Comment

Thanks all for the opinions and info.

I saw a blurb on some show or video I was watching that said since the land is Federal ALL firearms had to be unloaded and stored away from you until you were actually getting ready to walk into the woods and hunt. Then you can load it. I didn’t see any mention about it being concealed or not. I do know that Bush signed the law allowing concealed carry in national forests like SHNF.

I was hoping that someone could clarify for me on it. I guess I need to get my CCW and not worry about it any more. I just can’t figure out why that warden that has SHNF as his primary area of responsibility told me that it was no problem carrying a pistol while hiking or bird watching, scouting, etc. lots of people do it.....according to him.

Oh well, better to be safe than sorry!! I’ll be wearing orange and having a CCW to be sure!!

Thank you everyone for your time!!

Larry

Comment

This explains Federal rules and the you still have to follow TPWD rules as well.

Comment

Im sure there are people here that know Korean than me. My take is If you have your LTC, you are good to carry concealed or open anytime, UNLESS it is posted with 30.06 and/or 30.07.

I carry all the time. Hunting = open carry

Comment

And then there is "given effective notice"
                  Verbal or written.
                  TPWD laws and Federal laws apply.

Know the rules and laws. You don't want Federal charges for making a guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X