Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
    Soooooooooooooo how's all this rain going to effect the hunt?
    Larger and more abundant mosquitos. Waders required. At least we will hear them coming from the sound of splashing foot steps!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mike McNeil put Jack Suggs in a tree with knee deep water all around after it rained all night. Jack wasn't all that happy but he got up in the tree, about 10' off the ground.

Before sunrise Jack had to climb down and get his 4 arrows, he was sitting on a hog trail. At 7:45am Jack had stuck a couple of hogs and missed two others, but he wasn't about to climb down because he saw water moccasins swimming around near the tree. Later deer wadded past him and all he could do was watch them go by. Said it was a good spot to hunt but wasn't going back into "that dam water with moccasins all around" him.......

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
        This is going to be a great hunt this year, looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yes it is ! I can’t wait . Seems like the whole year I ,wait for this . I can’t wait to smell the salt in the air , and to see the sunrise ,while sitting still waiting to harvest some venison . Hekuna matata

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
          I also drew the Aransas NWR Archery Deer Hunt. I'll be staying in Fulton, Tx at the family beach house. I grew up in Rockport and remember as a kid my mom would take me to the NWR to go see the animals etc. Its going to be so awesome to be able to hunt there. I pretreat using Permethrin for my clothing and gear, Picaridin lotion and spray for skeeters. This usually lasts a full day in the field. I have yet to use my thermacell. I'm guessing rubber boots are a must if it rains. Ill be scouting the day before the hunt to check out some spots I have my eye on.
          That is really great . It’s going to be totally awesome. I don’t know how much water? I’m used to hunting in water ,in cypress domes. I doubt that there is as much water to worry about . I was told to use rubber boots ,and snake boots. I used to hunt barefoot because there was no real way to keep your feet dry back home. Here I would hate to step on a mesquite thorn ! Forget anything else . Or that evil catsclaw cactus . Oh sweet Jesus, that’s like fireants x100 . Lol

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
            Larger and more abundant mosquitos. Waders required. At least we will hear them coming from the sound of splashing foot steps!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
            Brother I did I read you right . You said we will hear them coming? I think you mean deer . If that is so , I know that you know what your talking about. I’m used to hearing that . I never expected to hear that in Texas . Omg it’s going to be a dang good time ! Really this is a mans hunt ! I know of one gal brave enough to hunt it .

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
              Mike McNeil put Jack Suggs in a tree with knee deep water all around after it rained all night. Jack wasn't all that happy but he got up in the tree, about 10' off the ground.

Before sunrise Jack had to climb down and get his 4 arrows, he was sitting on a hog trail. At 7:45am Jack had stuck a couple of hogs and missed two others, but he wasn't about to climb down because he saw water moccasins swimming around near the tree. Later deer wadded past him and all he could do was watch them go by. Said it was a good spot to hunt but wasn't going back into "that dam water with moccasins all around" him.......
              Thumper , I never thought in Texas, I was ever going to hunt in those conditions . That sounds pretty much like back home . I am so going to love it. Most folks pack up and turn around . Most leave early only the sick ones with the hunting bug stay because it’s home . Yee haw

Comment

That little yellow x is going to put 10" of rain on the refuge. Isaac, its a possible game changer two weeks before the hunt if it hits the middle coast.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                  Brother I did I read you right . You said we will hear them coming? I think you mean deer . If that is so , I know that you know what your talking about. I’m used to hearing that . I never expected to hear that in Texas . Omg it’s going to be a dang good time ! Really this is a mans hunt ! I know of one gal brave enough to hunt it .

Challenge accepted [emoji23]

Comment

Crazy how many people are excited about drawing it but could have been hunting there for years OTC.

Comment

Been keeping an eye on all that. Supposed to hit when I leave for my antelope hunt. Was in Colorado for Harvey and just got finished cleaning up from him. Hopefully it misses us.

If not, it'll make seeing animals through the brush easier with no leaves.
                      That little yellow x is going to put 10" of rain on the refuge. Isaac, its a possible game changer two weeks before the hunt if it hits the middle coast.
                      Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RobertD View Post
                          Hey y'all long time listener, first time caller. I drew this hunt this year and I am soooo glad that I found this thread. You guys are really dropping some good advise. I had no idea what to expect with this hunt.

I am bringing a blind and a ladder stand. I guess I am going to have to buy some snake boots. For sleeping arrangements, I have a truck bed tent that I usually use. Does anyone know any good places to park? I don't think I will be hunting very long. I might try and stay till Monday.

Anyone coming from the Austin area?
                          Yes I am , I’m comming from Steiner ranch in Travis county. I’m vamping also in a tent . I found a place that will rent a spot with water and access to power . So I’m bringing a hose an an extension cord a. Fan and permitherin spray down everything. Lol
                          Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Challenge accepted

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                            Challenge accepted [emoji23]

Your going to get a buck ! Aim small miss small. I hope this storm doesn’t shut us down . The good news is if it hits the following day the deer will be moving as if in a daze. They really move we will see a lot of activity. I heard it’s going to be a muddy mess though . Lol I love mudd.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                              Your going to get a buck ! Aim small miss small. I hope this storm doesn’t shut us down . The good news is if it hits the following day the deer will be moving as if in a daze. They really move we will see a lot of activity. I heard it’s going to be a muddy mess though . Lol I love mudd.

Haha I sure hope so! Thanks for the positive affirmations lol. Yeah I was thinking it could be a blessing in disguise..

Comment

Flagging

I think the storms follow us . Brother ,we left during the evacuation of hurricane Irma. We lived through 4 hurricanes in one year! I heard about the closings after Harvey. I hope this doesn’t affect our hunt . I think if it’s going to affect us and they don’t close the hunt , the deer will be moving before and immediately after. I heard it’s going to be a very muddy one . So do you recommend the flagging ? Doesn’t sound like it dose much good at all. I have some reflective clip on markers I have used for years to move in the darkness . Thumper ,can we walk out in the dark . I’m used to all day sits sun up to sun down with brief naps in the stand. I know not to leave a trace behind after a hunt . The public hunts I’m used to . Less experienced hunters whom didn’t scout will follow your markers to your stand in hope to set up close ans scalp your deer. They usually walk throughout sometimes twice . I don’t move or leave when this happens because they usually kick up deer. Especially during breakfast or lunch pangs of hunger kick in. Lol
                                Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X