Colorado, Unit 62, 3rd Season Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
    No scouting this trip. This is the real deal. I’ll call Monday and check on road closures and an update. Right now only plans that have changed is camp location. I’ll be in touch later next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that was a brain lapse on my end. Season snuck up on me!
    Good luck!

Comment

Counting the days, Leaving on the 14th.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        Join, or at least follow, hunttalk forums. Search on there for unit 62. That forum has guys who have hunted elk, sheep, moose, and deer more hours than I have been alive.

If you really want to start scouting, start by desk scouting. Watch the Randy Newberg desk scouting video's. He will give you more tips and tricks, and your mind will be blown as to what is online that can help you narrow your search within the unit. For example, the state of Colorado has a website that shows various species winter ranges, summer ranges, migratory corridors, etc....his video's will point you to that stuff.

Call the local biologist, and even the ranger station. Those guys will have more info for you if you ask questions right. Gohunt has a story on how to ask the correct questions from a biologist.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/d...ng-a-biologist

Finally, don't ask questions like "what are some tips/tricks/places to check out". No one ever gives those out, and it comes across as lazy to guys and gals who put in the desk scouting/field scouting time, and they will be less likely to share anything with you. What specifically do you want to know?

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you will only get responses that are generally correct, like "there is lots of orange" or "there is not a lot of orange if you want to pack way in". Those two statements contradict each other, and do not help you very much in picking a spot to hunt.

Good luck this fall!
        What he said! Randy has a great E-Scouting Elk series that is helping me plan for my next elk hunt.

Comment

Well I’m back. Weather was great! Hunted 6 days. Never saw or herd an elk. Saw a few fork horn mule deer bucks but mostly does. Saw a few fresh elk tracks after Divide Road was opened up. We hiked in an area about 5 miles on first day road opened, first ones in area and saw 0 elk. Great trip if you leave out game seen. Hopefully we were just there to early. Hopefully the good lord blesses y’all that are going up later with a good hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
            Well I’m back. Weather was great! Hunted 6 days. Never saw or herd an elk. Saw a few fork horn mule deer bucks but mostly does. Saw a few fresh elk tracks after Divide Road was opened up. We hiked in an area about 5 miles on first day road opened, first ones in area and saw 0 elk. Great trip if you leave out game seen. Hopefully we were just there to early. Hopefully the good lord blesses y’all that are going up later with a good hunt.

Well I wanted to hear a better report from your trip! But that area is beautiful and you can’t go wrong being in Colorado, ever. Glad y’all had a good trip regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
              Well I wanted to hear a better report from your trip! But that area is beautiful and you can’t go wrong being in Colorado, ever. Glad y’all had a good trip regardless.

Yes it is beautiful. 36 degrees last morning we were there. Hated to come home. Hopefully we were just a few weeks to early and you have a great trip.

Comment

I have been hunting bow hunting elk in 62 since 2002. We have always taken our mules and packed in. I have never been there that late but we have been drawn for the second rifle season this year. Will be a completely different experience for me. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Be careful up there in November. We have been snowed out of higher elevations in unit 62 during the early first season rifle (elk) hunts. If the snow gets too deep, try the transfer road (it's the first road to the right after you cross into the NF off of 90/ Divide Rd.) and keep heading North/ North East there are some lower elevations in there that hold deer and elk when the snow is on. If you make it far enough there is an electrical substation on the right. At that substation there is a road that goes down into a big canyon that we have seen a lot of deer and elk in the late seasons (November.) Be very aware of the weather if you drive down into the canyon, its narrow and the road is almost impassible when wet. Good luck, we will be in unit 81 hunting deer and elk.

Comment

OKAY, I'm back. Did not take a shot but saw numerous elk (and bears). While I was there, it was very dry. I was told "if you want to find elk, find water". Most of the elk were at slightly lower elevations, in the oak brush. First the acorn crop is very good and some of the creeks had decent water holes.
                    Here are the coordinates to where I camped, N38*18.154', W108*04.430 .
                    Here are the coordinates to where I saw quite a few elk, N38*18.897', W108*01.818 .
                    The elk I found were several miles in (on foot). The elevation change is dramatic for a "fat, old" guy.
                    All that being said, we finally got some rain a couple of days before I left and a light dusting of snow, once. By the 2nd season, I expect the elk will have moved, but what do I know about that? Just speculation.
                    Incredible trip, would do it all again, exactly the same. Yes disappointed that I did not harvest a bull (had an either/or tag, but chose not to shoot a cow), but if you can't enjoy that area and just "being there"... probably need to find another hobby.
                    Hillary, PM for additional info, if you like!

Comment

We are heading out this weekend, planning on hunting Wednesday-Sunday.
                      Looks like we will have some phenomenal weather, clear and cold, mid-40's for the high and 20's for the lows.
                      I hear they got a dusting of snow last week and the mule deer and starting to run. Hopefully this bring us some luck.
                      I will try to update while I am there.
                      I am not going to push it too hard as, surprise, I am 19 weeks pregnant. Never to young to introduce them to hunting, right?

Comment

That’s awesome! The hunt and especially the little one. Congrats!
                        Y’all have a great time and hope you bring some meat and antlers home! Pics are good too!

Comment

Good Luck Hillary! Where did you end up going to hunt? We usually hunt unit 62 close to Nucla.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
                            Good Luck Hillary! Where did you end up going to hunt? We usually hunt unit 62 close to Nucla.

We are heading there currently! We found a cabin to rent in the National Forest about elevation 9000, closer to Montrose

Comment

Arrived here about 2:30 and decided to go drive a couple routes we knew could handle the trailer. About 4:00 we parked and decided to do a very unprepared stalk in. Thinking we would have no luck we left hooting sticks in the truck, otherwise a 3x4 Muley would be taking a dirt nap.
                              Was a great hour and a half. Lots to look forward to these next 5 days.

Comment

In...good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X