Soaking Crappie in Sprite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soaking Crappie in Sprite

I’ve fried fish for 20+ years. Seen a video the other day, they soaked crappie fillets in sprite for about and hour then patted dry. Then coated in mustard before battering.
    Has anyone done this? I’m always up for trying new things but not about experiment and jack up a good batch of crappie.

Only thing I’ve ever done is soak catfish fillets over night in water in the fridge after cleaning and before bagging to draw out some of the fat and strong fish taste.

Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never done that with crappie but that is what we do with spoonbill

Comment

What is the point of putting mustard on fish fillets? Is the vinegar in it supposed to do something?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        What is the point of putting mustard on fish fillets? Is the vinegar in it supposed to do something?

That’s what I was wondering. I could see maybe with a fish that had a strong taste or was oily/fatty. But not a crappie

Comment

The mustard gives it a nice golden color when deep fried. We still roll em up in corn meal. Helps the corn meal stick too

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
            ...soaked crappie fillets in sprite...coated in mustard before battering.

I’m always up for trying new things but not about experiment and jack up a good batch of crappie.

Agree with you here...I might try it on some white bass though!

Comment

That’s what I was wondering. I could see maybe with a fish that had a strong taste or was oily/fatty. But not a crappie

Ive seen it done and have eaten some done this way, with the mustard. It just didnt taste any different to me vs stuff Ive had without the mustard. I dont have the most refined palate though, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                The mustard gives it a nice golden color when deep fried. We still roll em up in corn meal. Helps the corn meal stick too
                Ahh, it's a presentation thing. Makes sense.

Comment

Never heard of the sprite deal. I don’t think mustard does anything. I put it on ribs, and butts and noticed to difference in flavor or bark.

Comment

Mustard acts as a binder for the meal much like it does on rubs for ribs, briskets and pork butts.

I prefer the milk and egg but some folks like the mustard.

Comment

Mustard works well as a base that the meal will attach to. Have used it on trout and redfish. But I can't taste the mustard after frying.

Comment

I have dipped catfish in Louisiana hot sauce before battering before. Good stuff

Comment

Agree, the mustard flavor isn’t very noticeable after frying. I’m guessing mustard was used when eggs weren’t available. Both work well, and I think mustard lends more flavor than just egg.

Comment

I have dipped catfish in Louisiana hot sauce before battering before. Good stuff
                            Yup, we do Frank's Wing Sauce on the last batch or two of fish when we fry nowadays. I like that it gives it a little kick and like others have said, it acts as a binder.

Comment

Was invited to a fish fry a couple years ago. They put mustard on the crappie then the cornmeal. All I could taste was fried mustard. It was awful and a waste of great fish. Crappie is to delicate and mild flavored to use mustard IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X