• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warrington View Post
    Mines gas

It will go out at times and you a have to reset it

They replaced it and the new one does it as well
    I have one that was cutting off. I checked it and read the code that was blinking, come to find out the mud dobbers had flown in the vent and made nest on the radiator causing it to overheat. Once I cleaned it out, put screen over the opening, all has been great.

I have a Rinnai and it is Propane

Comment

On all electric go back with a tank.

Don’t fall for the timer gimmick. It takes more to heat the water than to maintain the temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
        unless you use a massive amount of hot water and run out all the time or are going to reclaim the floor space I don't think it's worth it.
        We install a lot of them, and this is what I would say also. The tankless keeps up with the demand by diminishing the flow rate. They will not save you money, and initial cost is quit a bit higher. You will not get hot water any quicker then a standard water heater ( number one reason we hear, why people want one, and it’s just not the case). In many cases you have to increase your gas line size also.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
          In many cases you have to increase your gas line size also.

And your vent stack too

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
            We install a lot of them, and this is what I would say also. The tankless keeps up with the demand by diminishing the flow rate. They will not save you money, and initial cost is quit a bit higher. You will not get hot water any quicker then a standard water heater ( number one reason we hear, why people want one, and it’s just not the case). In many cases you have to increase your gas line size also.
            Folks came in where I sold systems and installations wanting the instant Heat recirculating or the tankless systems for same reasons. Mis leading ads usually do not clarify circulation systems etc. in the real world. Sorry but true. A home must be properly plumbed for features. Period . Otherwise it is a choice of old school hot water or new school hot water modified in an existing old school system. I respect folks not understanding this and hopefully the complications can be grasped. There are cool things but limits apply. You are correct best I know and open to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
              Need more details on this timer? My heater is hard wired to the breaker panel currently... Are you meaning put it on a timer like a normal lamp timer that shuts off and on to keep from basically heating water all day?
              The timer that Greenheadless posted. Got em on both our heaters. Been using them for a long time...25 yrs. in this house.
              The wire coming from your breaker goes to it on the line side then add wire (in flex conduit) from the load side to the heater. Set the tabs for your morning and evening on/off times and good to go. If we're doing stuff where more hot water is needed, just flip the switch..it'll stay on till the next off cycle. Got em set to come on about an hour before and an hour after showers...am and pm. I figure there's 14 to 15 hrs a day mine ain't running. There's just 3 of us in the house now and the routine doesn't change much during the week. They're set to stay on for a good hour or so after we're usually done. That allows it to heat all the way up before shutting off. With 50 gallons, it'll stay plenty hot for a shower or two any time during the off cycle as well. May not work for everyone but they've been saving me $ for a long time!

Comment

Consider adding a propane tank for a tankless heater. Ive been running an electric tankless for 3 years now. Family of 4 with no problems. I will be switching to a gas unit when this one dies because i hate that my lights flicker when i use hot water.

Comment

well when all those who complain about the price of the electric tankless can get down to my $78 monthly electric bill they might have something to talk about,, 1500 sq feet, 2 showers, a dishwasher ( used at least ever other day) a minimum of 2 showers every day of the week and when the grand kids are over which is every week, there will be at least 6 showers plus bathing the dog once a week ... and yes it is running on 2 60 amp breakers,,, and we rarely do not have the ac or heat on everyday of the week, plus ceiling fans, and not counting light usage... laundry as often as 4 days a week not only our own but my wives mothers ( only once a week on those) and often some of the grand kids clothes.....

this is my second electric tankless water heater and i was told by everyone i would hate it and it would be expensive to run,,,, bullsnot...

we have been in our home since may 4th and only the first months bill was over 150$ and thats because the workers were leaving the doors open and all 6 ac units running,,,,, yes we only run about 125-150 on the monthly electric bill ,,, one tankless heater runs everything in the house, and it is not even a big one!

i am also home 3-4 days a week (all day frequently,) so it not like the house is going vacant most of the time
                  Last edited by xman59; 02-01-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
                    I am electric only.
                    Stick with the tank-type.

If efficiency is what you are after, go with a heat pump water heater if yours is located in an open space like a garage or attic.

Comment

Propane. Yes. Hot hot water. Cheap!

Comment

Tankless water heater or NO?

If you find yourself running out of hot water with your current set up then go tankless. If you have no issues with the current set up stay with a like system.

You will never save enough energy to cover the cost of tankless.

I currently have 3 tankless heaters and 1 traditional, tankless serve deer camp where multiple showers back to back cause issues, home two person tub that a tank heater wouldn’t fill and a shop that only uses hot water a couple times per month.

Utility room and kitchen run off tank heater
                        Last edited by bboswell; 02-01-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          well when all those who complain about the price of the electric tankless can get down to my $78 monthly electric bill they might have something to talk about,, 1500 sq feet, 2 showers, a dishwasher ( used at least ever other day) a minimum of 2 showers every day of the week and when the grand kids are over which is every week, there will be at least 6 showers plus bathing the dog once a week ... and yes it is running on 2 60 amp breakers,,, and we rarely do not have the ac or heat on everyday of the week, plus ceiling fans, and not counting light usage... laundry as often as 4 days a week not only our own but my wives mothers ( only once a week on those) and often some of the grand kids clothes.....

this is my second electric tankless water heater and i was told by everyone i would hate it and it would be expensive to run,,,, bullsnot...

we have been in our home since may 4th and only the first months bill was over 150$ and thats because the workers were leaving the doors open and all 6 ac units running,,,,, yes we only run about 125-150 on the monthly electric bill ,,, one tankless heater runs everything in the house, and it is not even a big one!

i am also home 3-4 days a week (all day frequently,) so it not like the house is going vacant most of the time
                          We've been using an electric tankless for over 20 years now and have had the same experience you have. All the talk about how much electricity they use is just not true. I will never use any thing else.

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                            I have one that was cutting off. I checked it and read the code that was blinking, come to find out the mud dobbers had flown in the vent and made nest on the radiator causing it to overheat. Once I cleaned it out, put screen over the opening, all has been great.

I have a Rinnai and it is Propane
                            They have check that, put a u coupling on it thinking maybe it’s rain getting in there. Heck I don’t know, frustrating

Comment

Tankless water heater or NO?

Originally posted by xman59 View Post

Consider yourself lucky. You must have a defective electric meter. [emoji6]Resistive electric heat is the most power consuming, inefficient heat there is.

I’m not gonna say you’re wrong because you pay your bills but I do know about electricity and consumption.

Anything drawing 120 amps is going to make your electricity use skyrocket. There is nothing else in your house that will draw that much power unless both stages of an electric furnace were to come on which just doesn’t happen in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                                And your vent stack too
                                All the ones we install vent, with pvc. Can’t go up a std. metal b-vent stack.

Comment

Working...
                                X