No announcement yet.

Tankless water heater or NO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddy of mine just bought an electric tankless unit for a small cabin he's building for a hunting camp. I was shocked to see how much power that think pulled, if I remember correctly, it pulled 50 amps. I advised him to return it and get a small tank unit. Doubt he's going to do it. Good guy buy a dumb arse when it comes to anything mechanical / electrical / construction related.

Comment

The electric ones once you get past the small point-of-use ones they get crazy with the power requirements. I have one sitting at my shop on the shelf that requires 3 60amp breakers.

Comment

Have had miserable time with my new 2$k tankless. Will never do it again

Comment

Mines gas

It will go out at times and you a have to reset it

They replaced it and the new one does it as well

Comment

Agreed on gas models! We have a gas tankless and we cook on gas as well. Spend $200 on 100 gallons which lasts for about 10-11 months so how's that for cost effective! Best thing about the heaters is a non-limit of hot water, however some faucets take a little longer than you would think depending where the unit is mounted. Won't ever go back to the standard water heater!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXhunter77 View Post
              If you are electric only then going back with a tank is your best option.
              Agreed. Only go tankless if you have gas. I have had homes with both and there is a huge difference.

Comment

We have an electric tankless just for our master bath. It serves its purpose for us. Regular water heater for the rest of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                  Agreed. Only go tankless if you have gas. I have had homes with both and there is a huge difference.
                  Yep

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                    Agreed on gas models! We have a gas tankless and we cook on gas as well. Spend $200 on 100 gallons which lasts for about 10-11 months so how's that for cost effective! Best thing about the heaters is a non-limit of hot water, however some faucets take a little longer than you would think depending where the unit is mounted. Won't ever go back to the standard water heater!!
                    This and do regular maintenance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                      Yep, just replace your tank heater and put a timer on it. Runs a couple hrs in the a.m. then maybe 3 or 4 in the evening.(adjust to your schedule) If it's in the garage or attic, put a blanket on it. For whatever reason we may need more hot water for something, just flip the switch...doesn't happen much tho. Not sure how long it'd take to recover the costs of your install mods, especially adding two new 60 amp circuits. That's if nothing happens to the heater.

Need more details on this timer? My heater is hard wired to the breaker panel currently... Are you meaning put it on a timer like a normal lamp timer that shuts off and on to keep from basically heating water all day?

Comment

Installed adjacent to the water heater.

Comment

I have a rinnea brand tankless. I’ll never have a tank one again

Comment

Tank heater works just fine and a lot cheaper.

Comment

I have a two gas tankless at home and an electric tankless at my farm house. No complaints with either. The electric only pulls power when in use so it won’t increase your electric bill versus a tank heater. Installation will be more upfront though.

Comment

We have 3 gas tankless units for the house. I love it man. You can run the dishwasher the washing machine and 2 different showers at the same time and NEVER have to worry about cold water again.

A wise man (my dad) one told me that you can get just as clean in cold water as you can in hot. The only difference is the amount of time it takes!

Comment

Working...
                                X