Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankless water heater or NO?

Water heater bit the dust today.

Considering the tankless option but want to get some expert advice from folks that wont make any money off my dilemma. I am located in Georgetown and have a water softener on the system. 2bath house with family of 5 normal use IMO.

Some info I am gathering is that they don't hold up to daily household use and that quality of water is a major factor as well. Thanks in advance.

We replaced two 50 gallon gas water heaters with one gas Reni over 10 years ago and love it!!! I do flush it with vinegar ever couple of years.

Comment

Only go tankless if you have gas or propane. If you do, I will never go back to a tank heater.

I have been running a Tikagi for 20 years now.

Comment

I am electric only.

Comment

In a similar situation, and if I can afford it I think we will go tankless on electric. I have heard nothing but good things about them

Comment

check the power required....I installed a small tankless in a small house and had to run a 60 amp circuit for it....I could not believe it. most regular electric water heaters usually have a 30 amp circuit

Comment

unless you use a massive amount of hot water and run out all the time or are going to reclaim the floor space I don't think it's worth it.

Comment

certainly not from an efficiency (economic) perspective.

Comment

I went with a rheem electric tankless a year ago. Its the higher volume model but I just love it. Never run out of water and electric bill dropped.

Only negative wax we had to run two super heavy wires and I stall two 60 amp 220 breakers.

Comment

If you are installing a gas unit then go for it but if it’s electric then avoid it like the plague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
                      I am electric only.
                      IMHO, I would stick with a tank version then.

Comment

For a whole house you would need to go with a gas tankless unit. We have had great results on Rinnai and Nortiz brands in both residential and commercial applications.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
                          I am electric only.
                          If you are electric only then going back with a tank is your best option.

Comment

Newest models require flushing on a regular basis and not sure what all is involved. I do not own one but certainly our rock hard water in Central TX can be Very tough on water heating.I would expect it to be Super critical to maintain a good water softener. I retired but part time in plumbing parts for a while. Not an expert. I heard Renai is a good choice. It does require extra maintenance but it is a great system done right. I understand install costs can add at notable labor/parts cost over a basic tank replacement install. That may earn itself back if more efficient? And yes if no gas, the service is heavy on the electric demand and will need a powerful circuit. Many older electric heaters had one element and as small as 10 gauge which will Not run a modern dual element and not even close to a tankless demands. Serious electric work possible? Long comment but learned a "little" so sharing points to consider. Not a pro so error could easily exist in my info. Good Luck.

Comment

Yep, just replace your tank heater and put a timer on it. Runs a couple hrs in the a.m. then maybe 3 or 4 in the evening.(adjust to your schedule) If it's in the garage or attic, put a blanket on it. For whatever reason we may need more hot water for something, just flip the switch...doesn't happen much tho. Not sure how long it'd take to recover the costs of your install mods, especially adding two new 60 amp circuits. That's if nothing happens to the heater.

Comment

Working...
                              X