X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent some time with an old friend yesterday

Went and visited with an old friend of mine yesterday for a few hours

He will be 84 in November

I sat and let him tell me hunting stories for a couple of hours. Some I had heard before and some for the first time

We talked about the elk hunt we went on in the San Juans where he found lots of bear sign right behind our camp but didn’t tell me because he knew I would not sleep
    How he was in his 60’s and I in my 20’s and he could leave me far behind in the mountains

We talked about back when Engling and Richland were open to archery hunt with the AHP and how he homesteaded one of the screen shelters for the month and us younger guys would come down and hunt on the weekends in the places or stands he hung for us

He is going hunting with another guy that is a little older than me this fall and is excited about that

I grew up hunting but “The Old Man” as we called him taught me some valuable lessons about hunting, fishing and trapping and still has a wealth of information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experience comes with age, the BEST teacher. Good for you both!

Comment

Nothing better than listening to old timers tell huntin stories

Comment

Good story, Brian!

Y'all listen to this example and be nice to old fellers!

Comment

Good deal. I still wish my Grandpa was around for one more hunt.

Comment

Time to sit down and listen a while

Comment

There are so many stories from these old timers that need to be heard. Some great stories. Good for you

Comment

Our hunting group has a “Grandpa “ turning 80 this year. Love listening to stories while we can

Comment

Great you got to see him!!

Comment

Always great to hear the experienced tell of their experiences. Miss my Grandfather Berry.

Comment

Thumbs up

Comment

Good on you for visiting him. I’m sure you both got some enjoyment out of that. When I was a kid, my brother and I were friends with some boys whose grandad was a bird and squirrel hunter. There were no deer in East Texas back then. Since our dad didn’t hunt, and both grandads were long dead, he was our mentor. We even called him Papaw like they did. He was a fine, upstanding guy and we spent many enjoyable hours hunting and just visiting with him. Good memories !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Good on you for visiting him. I’m sure you both got some enjoyment out of that. When I was a kid, my brother and I were friends with some boys whose grandad was a bird and squirrel hunter. There were no deer in East Texas back then. Since our dad didn’t hunt, and both grandads were long dead, he was our mentor. We even called him Papaw like they did. He was a fine, upstanding guy and we spent many enjoyable hours hunting and just visiting with him. Good memories !
                          The type of men like you and BT are talking about stand out more so than all others imo. Reason being they took the time to spend with y’all becaus they wanted to and not because you were their kids/grandkids. I would say these are rare these days.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, brings back some great memories.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                              Nothing better than listening to old timers tell huntin stories
                              Sure isn’t, I sure Do miss my Grandfathers Hunting and fishing stories

Comment

Working...
                              X