X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, very nice congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
      Helluva trip, OT! Congrats on some awesome animals!
      This is all your fault Danno!!!! (-;

The next morning found us driving 1.5 hours to a grass landing strip to meet our Cessna pilot for our trip to the south island. As he landed the sheep scattered like chickens. The weather was perfect but I knew it would be much colder in the Alps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Upon arrival some 3+ hours later we checked into a little motel in Fox Glacier! Fox Glacier is a small resort town that folks visit to see this glacier, sky dive and do other touristy stuff. This time of the year it is about hunting......the place was empty. Since my girls had zero interest in Cessna flights nor helicopters we were hoping to get "in and out" within the 3 days left on the trip.

Comment

Way to go Oscar!
          Awesome animals and a great read!

Comment

Always love to read Landrover killing trips.

Awesome write up so far, waiting for more.

Comment

One day. Awesome pics and animals!!

Comment

Congrats on making some awesome memories!

Comment

90 minutes after arriving the helicopter was ready to head into the southern alps. They explained how difficult this would be for a bowhunter and if I wanted to geaux with the gun they had it on the helicopter. Being the annoying optimist I voted to stick with my bow. Blissful ignorance was all I had in my favor....lol.[emoji23]
                  Two hours of helicopter pirouettes we saw lots of tahr and chamois but none in a position for a flat-lander with a hard head. Heck, we had to geaux back to Fox Glacier for more fuel after all that sky ballet.
                  Once back in the air we saw a nice group with two nice bulls! No idea if they would play along but next thing I know Liam and I are standing in 3 feet of snow.......waiting & hoping.......and trembling from cold or excitement after jumping out of a helicopter. Well as you would know we picked the correct drain but the lot of them are running towards us. One stops on my opposite side and I sling an arrow. Total miss!!! Arrow shatters on rocks as sparks fly. Liam says nock another arrow as more are coming down the drain. This time I have zero idea what to expect but I learned a 25 yard shot at a running tahr means another shattered arrow. ...lol.[emoji23] Helicopter comes back, snow is flying everywhere, I feel dejected but the theme song from "Apocalypse Now" is stuck in my head!!!!

Comment

Wow, Oscar! That is an absolutely awesome trip!!!! Congrats on all the fine critters.

In for the rest!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

AWESOME trip Oscar. Congratulations, many times over.

Comment

So now I know how the game is played! I also know I can't hit a running critter like Marty or Bisch......LMAO.[emoji6]
                        We search for a bull tahr and hopefully he is solo....these $100 arrows exploding on rocks ain't a good feeling. 45 minutes later we spot a beast. He may be in a good position if we can be dropped off quickly. Did I say quickly. ......we were dumped out my left leg went straight down into the snow and Liam had to take my bow and drag me out so we could find a setup spot. 5 minutes later Liam spots a single bull sneaking down the drain towards me. He tells me to nock an arrow. I see nada but follow his lead. We have a 52 yard shot marked out on a curve in the creek. The single tahr sneaks pass that spot and stops in the 45 yard area but giving no shot. 5 or 10......or maybe 15 minutes pass with zero movement from the beast. We literally look at eachother simultaneously as it was time to move towards him. We crawled in the snow a little ways and spot him. Liam says 44 yards. .....I draw and release......double lung! He lurches forward and the chase for Tahr was over. Apocalypse Now theme song is now our fight song as we head back for the day with handshakes all around.

Comment

Awesome all the way around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did I say headed back in????? Well, with a little over one hour till dark that was the plan. ......then chase the chamois in the morning. Nope.....they obviously spot a chamois. .......but don't tell me. Next thing we are headed down and Liam says ,"are you ready?" I say for what? He says we are going to try for a chamois. Oh crap, I did not replace the last arrow I had taken from my quiver. After a mad scramble we jump out and I have no idea how this is going to geaux down. Liam picked a spot but we were exposed to any wild eyes. We tried moving down but water was flowing beneath the snow. We moved forward quickly. ......and the snow got deeper. Then my left leg goes all the way down. No pulling me outta this predicament as the critter is spotted. I lean to the side to lower my profile. Liam pics a spot and whispers 25 yards......now hopefully he stops in that general area . With my total leg incased in snow and kneeling on the other knee this could get interesting. We both spot him at 25 yards as I draw, but he trots pass that marker. I remain drawn as,we don't know where he went. He pops up at 15 yards, chest forward and I release for a heart shot!!! He spins around and I see blood on the snow as he tumbles into the creek. Whew....... two perfect arrows in the southern Alps in 40 minutes. ........talk about a rush!!!

Comment

Sir, my respect for you and your hunting dedication and skills were way up there, but this hunt puts you over the top in my book!! My sincere congratulations to you on a truly epic trip!! And thank you for taking the time to record it and share it with the rest of us low-landers!!

Comment

A few random pics.....that Alaska brown bear is on the short list!!! (-;

Comment

Working...
                                X