Hill Country Deer vs. South Texas Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
    I still strongly disagree. Maybe it’s relative to individual experience. For me, the deer in South Texas are the smartest deer I have ever hunted. Especially when compared to the hill country. LF of course.
    Anything is smart compared to a hill country deer.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
      Anything is smart compared to a hill country deer.

I just don’t think they have many places to hide in comparison to East Texas deer and thick south Texas brush. Also there is so many women (does) in the hill country I think during the rut they are all running wild not knowing what to do with themselves haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our south Texas deer are dumb till they hit 5 or so. After that, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
          Deer in east Texas are generally thriving to a lesser degree because of tree cover. East Texas has much better soil and rainfall which leads to better potential, but that potential ends up producing tons of tree cover that reduces browse within reach of the deer. And generally areas that are cleared of tree cover are growing hay etc for cattle, which is useless to deer.
          East Texas suck! No deer here.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            Our south Texas deer are dumb till they hit 5 or so. After that, good luck.
            Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Old Blue View Post
              Think it is not genetics Its high protein and managing herds. There is hunter on here that is growing 200 class deer in Louisiana with natural genetics using food plots feed and letting deer reach proper age class. I bet the average age deer killed on most ranches in hill country are lower than STX.

Exactly. Feed them for generations and let them get old and they all can be big!

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                So you think you could have 5,000 acres in South Texas and 5,000 acres in the Hill Country and produce the same quality of deer on each place?

If you let them mature yes sir.

Comment

I have been hunting in the hill country for 30 years and have seen some monster bucks over the years. The problem with the hill country is most ranches never let the deer mature and lack of feed. If you have a big enough ranch and you let the deer get age on them they can get big. Like I said Age,Food and water you got big deer with proper management.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                    I have been hunting in the hill country for 30 years and have seen some monster bucks over the years. The problem with the hill country is most ranches never let the deer mature and lack of feed. If you have a big enough ranch and you let the deer get age on them they can get big. Like I said Age,Food and water you got big deer with proper management.

But like I questioned before...

5,000 acres place in the hill country and 5,000 acre place in south Texas.. in a 15 year span who is going to have bigger deer and why?

Comment

As a young kid I was told the growing season. Rattle snakes are lots bigger down there. No clue because deer north of the hill country are bigger.

Comment

5,000 acres place in the hill country and 5,000 acre place in south Texas.. in a 15 year span who is going to have bigger deer and why?

Who has the most money to spend on this project? That is who will win.

Comment

I have already said it age,food and water you have big deer no matter where you hunt hill country or south Texas. We have shot several deer over 200 pounds this year in the hill country because they are managed right. You will not see the amount of 200” deer in the hill country because most 90% never reach maturity.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                            I have already said it age,food and water you have big deer no matter where you hunt hill country or south Texas. We have shot several deer over 200 pounds this year in the hill country because they are managed right. You will not see the amount of 200” deer in the hill country because most 90% never reach maturity.

You must be on a well managed ranch with great genetics.
                            Very seldom do I hear anything about a Hill Country deer being 200+ pounds and have seen or heard personally of a free range 170+ deer coming from the hill country..
                            I’m sure it’s possible but like I’m saying which you can disagree.
                            If you are given 5,000 acres in the hill country.. and you are in control of food, water and management
                            And same for the 5,000 acres in South Texas..
                            Which place will hold more 170+ deer in 10 years...

My answer.. (South Texas, simply just because IMO I believe the deer have a more natural browse with high protein due to the soil down south, high protein browse + protein us hunters provide + age = Muy Grande)

As far as Hill Country, I believe you will have to rely on your bucks to really hit your protein feeders hard and keep feeding them it relentlessly.

Comment

You do realize there is a whole lot of ground in South Texas that sucks right? There are far more ranches in South Texas NOT growing 170" deer than are.

Comment

I think it's very in obvious hill country deer are genetically inferior.
                                Two hours east , a 5 year old buck looks completely different. Brazos county has 180# deer and Blanco county has 130# 5 year olds. Both places have tons of water and food.

Comment

Working...
                                X