BBD!!! the pigeon toed assassin & “On Cloud 9”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBD!!! the pigeon toed assassin & “On Cloud 9”

Recap of Lola youth season hunt and an awesome buck finally caught up with!

Note: again I ain’t tech savvy so bare with me and pic... I’m just a dairy farmer . And I got 2 years with this deer too

Last year was her first year after “Big game” and she was finally rewarded with all her hard work with a 3 pt that had me shaking worse than any buck I’ve ever killed except my first... a 4pt. That season started with me locating a bachelor group of bucks that had several great deer but one in particular that I wanted for her first. An 8 pt that I guessed as a 3 yo. That was just a nice deer for a kid. Not a monster, plenty legal, just an average 113-115 8. I had lots of early season pics but as soon as youth season rolled around he was gone. Last I saw him was bedded 100 yards from my truck on way out one evening pig hunting. That’s when we changed the way we entered to hunt that property FOREVER.
    But he was gone till after season and I knew he had made it that far
    Attached Files

I started trying to locate him and a 10pt she had a misfire on last year. On sept 3rd I finally found the 8... but now he was a 9, a very nice 9! But that was it I never could find any sign of him again... but the 10 was back somewhat regular and looked exactly like the year before. Even being shot by neighbor. So he’s the one targeted now... but I still liked the 9’s frame better.

As youth season approaches I monitor the area weekly and when pigs leave.... it’s a non stop deer parade. Honestly all day long deer, a lot the same deer... they just like to be here and feel safe I guess.

Lola had her end of the year softball tournament planned for Saturday but was cancelled Friday due to weather so that gave us 1 more bonus hunt. I went out Friday afternoon and dumped a bag of corn in a shooting lane to make them stay still for a shot. Saturday morning we head out the door and sneak into the woods with truck parked on side of road. The pine needles are wet and we are silent as we get into the blind. About the time I sit down a doe starts blowing to our north... &$&%. No way in the world it smelled us, no way it heard us, no way it saw us... never the less she’s blowing at something.

Humbled:

About 7:45 I look up and a spike walks in from the East... ain’t seen a spike here all year. He’s a year old and legal so I ask her if she want to shoot or wait.. SHOOT!
    Attached Files

Comment

So with the spike at 40 yards I take off the safety and get ready to coach. I wait... and wait... and wait.... nada. She looks at me with teeth gritted and says “this gun won’t shoot!”.. I tell her yes it will. Squeeze the trigger

She gets back in the scope , and I wait... and wait... and wait. Then I noticed something she’s pulling the &)&% out of the trigger guard . She finally gets frustrated and sits back “it won’t work”... as he walks away (honestly didn’t want her to shoot it, but it’s her hunt). I whisper you can pull that particular part as hard as you want... and it ain’t gonna shoot The look on her face... opps

Then I reminded her about last year. That deer wasn’t meant to happen. We will keep on. At around 8:15 a yearling doe walked in and ate 10-20 seconds and walked off. I knew momma was close from pics so she got ready as the big doe walked by at about 30 but never stopped at the corn, just walking through. Frustrated again I reminded her that deer wasn’t meant to be either

This was a bonus day to hunt we didn’t expect and seen 3 deer in 2 hours in east Texas Not bad

Wind was shifting west so I told her we ain’t ruining this stand on youth season. Sunday evening will be perfect and we will wait

Comment

Sunday evening:
        We park in road side again and sneak into stand. Wind is perfect. Get in blind and I noticed all the corn was gone... well looks like your gonna be shooting more pigs.

We are playing tic tack toe when we hear some screaming and roaring!!!! Hogs and 15 stampeded in where corn was and went to looking for more. They all looked the same and about 100ish pounds. “Go ahead “..... BOOM!!! she absolutely crushed a sow... pigs scatter. Well we ain’t gonna see deer with that laying there... stay here I’ll move it.

Yea it wasn’t 100 pounds. I fought and wrestled and pulled all I could and got it behind a pine tree and got back in blind. We high fives and laughed at how she smashed it! Then she found out I don’t always know what I’m talking about “will the deer be scared off” me: “no, but the pigs will. Good job”... 5 minutes later same sounder is back. Lol. They are doing circles and she can’t quite catch up before the blood smell got em and off they ran

At 6:00 I see the yearling coming in from the East with momma in tow. We get ready to shoot
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Low Fence; 10-28-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

The big doe gets right when we want and locks up. Looks towards where pig was shot turns and is gone???? (I thought smelled blood?... might have). Yearling is still there but she don’t want to shoot it.. and it looks same direction and follows momma.

I can instantly tell she’s getting frustrated and am trying to calm her down when I see what they ran from! 30 yards is THE 9! I think we say it at the same time and he’s 2 steps from a shot.. if he don’t take chase. Just then he takes the perfect 2 steps ... I give her the sign and plug my ears (learned that the hard way last year)...

BOOM!

like a dragster he dumped the clutch and was GONE! I jump to the front to listen and can see her face she thought she missed.... CRASH!!! HES DOWN... somewhere... but HES DOWN. She had tears flowing and shaking (I may have too, DONT remember ever detail). We called momma and told her the events and I was about to start tracking
          Attached Files

Comment

In for LDPs!!!! Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The pigs had the dirt so tore up I couldn’t cut a track and the wylde DONT leave nothing to track anyway so I was going to terrain and sound. She stayed at impact as I walked about 50 yards in and saw white belly! I whistled to her and here she came like a rocket. The 9 was down for the count! Only second time seen since September. Called a good friend that lived 1/2 mile away and he was kind enough to help me drag both out. Then showed us pics of the deer at his house feeder lol. Explains were he went to.

There’s always a reason why some things don’t work out, understand that that’s often for the best, and life is a whole lot sweeter

Proud of my daughter she’s a heck of a shot and woodsman...woman.. girl. Whatever.
              Attached Files

Comment

Excellent! Love tor write ups congrats to you and your daughter. She is lights out behind the trigger!

Comment

. Congrats!!

Comment

AWESOME LIL LADY!! Congrats to y’all both!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats again PTA Lola! Your guide ain't half bad either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Attagirl Lola! Stacking them up like cord wood! Congrats to her and her buck fevered Dad[emoji2957][emoji23]

Comment

That’s awesome congrats all the way around!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to your daughter

Comment

Working...
                              X