No announcement yet.

Wanting a 243 - Which one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1st deer rifle when I was a boy is still my favorite rifle and my son will be shooting it in a few years. It's a youth model Remington Model 7 and it is unbelievable accurate. I can't even begin to count the number of animals it's laid to rest in the last 21 years.

Comment

I think I would look at a Winchester Featherweight (one that has CRF) for a rifle in that caliber that I wanted to pass down.

Comment

Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester. It'll never go out of style.

Comment

I have a 1983 Remington Model 7 that nobody will get until I'm gone and it's being left to my son. 18 1/2" barrel. Under 7 pds. Light recoil.

I also liked the Win Featherweight when I was buying it.

Those would be my vote.

Comment

If I am buying a remington it is for the action to build something out of other than the zillion parts you can get for them they do nothing for me.

If I am buying for looks and heirloom value it would go to the riflemans rifle, the win model 70, if your wanting really pretty look into to the 150th anniversary edition they are making this year, gorgeous rifles. Or slight step down the super grade. But if you are wanting a rifle they can hunt with and not feel bad about it but still look sharp and is functional the feather weight or in .243 the featherweight compact would be about perfect.

Tikkas are nice but just don't see them being an heirloom, more of a tool than anything.

Comment

I've got a .243 Remington 600 Mohawk that I've had for 30yrs and will be passing it down the family line and it still gets used every year and looks nice.

Comment

Personally, I built my oldest daughter a 7mm-08 on a Remington model 7 action with a Pac nor barrel and a Boyds laminate stock.
                I bought my middle daughter a lh youth Mod 700 Rem that I will have rebarreled and set in a Boyds stock when she stops growing.
                I bought the boy a mod 700 CDL a while before he was even remotely big enough to shoot it, because I got it cheap.
                I'm a Remington guy, I guess.
                The Tikkas and Sakos look really nice, though.

Comment

The 7mm-08:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20151228_112755.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24449093
                  The 270 CDL:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20151107_170644.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24449094
                  My middle daughter's rifle is just plain with a black plastic stock for now.

Comment

Remington 700. Got it in a .243, .270 and a .300 Win. Mag. They are not terribly expensive but will do anything you ask them to do provided you do your part as well.

Comment

Love my Savage model 14 Euro Classic in 243

Comment

Get an older 700 bdl

Comment

sako in my book for passing down to the kids, or a nice 700 cdl. for beating up/hunting tikka lite will be my next purchase
                          Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 06-26-2016, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Remington sure does NOT build a rifle that they used too.... The actions are still great if your looking for a build action but I wouldn't have one to shoot as factory. Out of the box most accurate IMO is the Savage for a lower price point, tikka for mid range and Cooper if you have the dough to spend. If you really want the ultimate TOP of the line ... Proof Research
                            Last edited by Roosterpt1; 06-26-2016, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Ruger American predator!!!!

Every single Ruger American predator I have seen shoots under 1/2 moa with a factory ammo!!!
                              Last edited by etxccampbell; 06-30-2016, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Tikka/WbyS2 or a great value is the Ruger American.

In that order unless you're interested in moving up to spending $1,000+ on just the gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X