No announcement yet.

hurricane season 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read reports that a lot of homes and bldgs on the west side of Florida were built to handle no more than a Cat 3. Any truth to this?

Prayers for Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      Read reports that a lot of homes and bldgs on the west side of Florida were built to handle no more than a Cat 3. Any truth to this?

Prayers for Florida.
      Not an expert by any means. However, standard hurricane building code does require hurricane ties on the framing and I think the average code is to withstand winds up to around 120. So, it's probably true the typical hurricane building code is not necessary sufficient to cover wind speeds and gusts in Cat 4 and 5 storms. The code does require impact rated glass for certain coastal regions, etc. I know my parents down on Tiki Island and others don't even need storm shutters anymore due to how impact resistant windows are built these days.

Bottom line, a Cat 5 hurricane is like an F5 tornado. Thunder of God so to speak and is not the normal scenario. Are homes in torndo alley built to withstand an F5 tornado? Probably not.

It's like any other natural disaster. Occurances on average every 20 years can't necessary dictate everything to the fullest; especially on the worst case scenario end. Think of major floods, earth quakes, etc. Heck, think about the Freeze in TX a few years ago. Are all homes required to be equipped with back-up generators or working fireplaces; of course not. Guess I'm just saying, I wouldn't read to much into some of these reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

Prayers for Florida.
        Most pictures I’ve seen is of trailer/mobile homes that are completely destroyed so I don’t doubt it.

Comment

I was looking how far away Ian was pulling wind from up the east coast. I checked a weather app and it showed Myrtle Beach, SC by daybreak having wind gusts to 50mph. The eye is 300 miles away and still pulling tropical storm force winds.

Almost 600 miles away Norfolk, VA will be having about 40mph gusts.

Those aren’t real worrisome winds but that seems like a long way for a Category 1 hurricane to be having that strong of an effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

wow that wind in puntagorda! buddies live in tampa and not heard from them yet. eesh. storm surges too.

Comment

something to keep a eye on.https://ust.chatango.com/um/w/e/weat...img/l_1116.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                Ug. Will be watching...

Comment

Mother Nature needs to simmer down, our trip to the islands is coming up!

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                    Likely a Central American storm

I’m far more intrigued by what Cat 3 Orlene offers Texas as a rain maker after she makes landfall in SW Mexico tomorrow. Pretty rugged terrain, and it may rip her to shreds, but I think some of the moisture makes its way into Texas by end of week.
                    Last edited by Playa; 10-02-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Invest 91L now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our weather experts as of 5:30 this am.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Plan B; 10-02-2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          Likely a Central American storm

I’m far more intrigued by what Cat 3 Orlene offers Texas as a rain maker after she makes landfall in SW Mexico tomorrow. Pretty rugged terrain, and it may rip her to shreds, but I think some of the moisture makes its way into Texas by end of week.
                          I was hoping some rain would come our way from Orlene as well… weather channel not calling for any real chances of rain at least in the Del Rio area for the next 10 days.

Comment

Hmmm...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Man, for us that have kids in college in Florida, this sucks! They just canceled classes for my daughter at Embry Riddle.

Comment

Satellite images, weather maps and tracks of Category 1 Hurricane Nicole 2022, 5 - 11 November. Max wind speed 75mph.

Comment

Working...
                                X