Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sand hill crane hunt January 2,3- can't wait !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand hill crane hunt January 2,3- can't wait !!

Going with Aviant skies , never been and looking forward to it . Anyone have any pros cons for me ? Thanks

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go and have fun.

And, don’t walk up on a wounded crane without a shotgun in hand.

Comment

Panhandle? Take warm clothes for sure. If they are decoying them in most shots will be pretty close. 12 gauge lead 4’s are all you need. I shoot 6’s a lot of the time. Lead works much better than steel just make sure you don’t shoot any ducks or geese. Pass shooting is fun but you waste a lot of shells. 3 inch 4’s pretty much a must for pass shooting. It’s a blast.

Comment

Go and have fun it’s a blast. Like said above, do not walk up on one without a shotgun.

Also if hunting in an A-frame don’t be that guy moving his head and shoulders all around trying to watch the birds when they’re straight over head, they’ll pick you off real quick and flare.

I like 3.5” BB and BBB, puts them down. Some will say that’s ridiculous and too much but I like dead birds and not have to worry about injured dogs.
          Last edited by diamond10x; 12-15-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I’ve never eaten one but have heard they are great.

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post
              Going with Aviant skies , never been and looking forward to it . Anyone have any pros cons for me ? Thanks
              Would for sure like to do this kind of hunt, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                I have, they're not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually bring more bullet than needed. Suckers are hard to bring down. Leave no doubt.

I tend to prefer the layout style over ground blinds. Usually ground blinds are crowded and everyone tends to just blast as fast as possible. You can spread out a little better when you're laid out with decoys.

Yes, it's cold in my part of the world. Southwest/West of Lubbock are huge flocks... Brownfield, Levelland, Littlefield. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    I have, they're not.

Disagree. My picky kids thought they were eating steak and I didn't tell them any different.

Pan fry in cast iron is best way. Chicken fried not bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      I have, they're not.

So there not the Ribeye in the sky lol

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                        You will hear rib-eye of the sky. I call them sirloin of the sky.

If comparing to a ribeye, they suck. But what does compare to a good ribeye?

If comparing them to all other ducks, geese, etc., they are awesome! Like all wild game, cook them rare to med rare. I like them. Will even keep the thighs and legs to make crane and dumpling’s.

People mistake shooting at them like you would other birds. Don’t. Picture their heads as dove and put 100% focus on killing that dove.

I hunt them with a 28ga most of the time and sometimes a .410. Usually shoot #4 or #6 lead.
                        Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-15-2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

We shot a few Sunday morning. Saw TONS of them, but they kept flaring just before getting into range. Those flat silhouette decoys look great from a distance, but as soon as the birds get overhead all they see are skinny cardboard cutouts. If 3D decoys weren't so expensive, it'd be a lot better.

Comment

And they don't taste like ribeye. They're not full of juicy marbling and fat. They're lean like venison. They're venison in the sky. Tastes more like deer than anything else. Similar to axis, but slightly stronger flavor. Very good. Cut the breast into strips and cook it seasoned and sauteed in butter in a cast iron skillet until medium rare. It's GREAT. Chicken fried is too.

The thighs are good, but really tough. Breast is tender. Drumsticks are filled with hard tendons. Just keep the breasts.
                            Last edited by Shane; 12-15-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Their is a reason they are called the (Rib-Eye in the Sky). For years we never hunted them on our farm. We never new how to cook them correctly. A close coon-*** friend corrected that problem, and now it is game on. Hell, I have had high quality beef ruined by folks that don't know how to cook steaks.
                              Sam J.

Comment

Working...
                              X