No announcement yet.

Shopping for New Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would find a local bank or a credit union. I use both and its nice to be able to call a direct number for whoever I want to talk to.

Comment

I've been absolutely thrilled with Ally Bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        Funny, I came to this thread as I am looking at leaving my CU.

They have become no better than a big bank IMHO, with this dwindling offered services and customer service.
        Which CU do you use? I use Shell FCU and have had nothing but good experiences over the years

Comment

Switched to RBFCU a few years back. So far they have been outstanding.

Comment

Another upvote for ShellFCU

Comment

I have accounts at Wells Fargo and have been considering moving them to Plains Capitol for several years. I've heard many great things about them, and after meeting one of their bankers at an event a few years back, I can see why. The only downside is their lack of coverage statewide.

While I have no experience with these two institutions, I've heard great things about RBFCU and USAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                Funny, I came to this thread as I am looking at leaving my CU.

They have become no better than a big bank IMHO, with this dwindling offered services and customer service.
                I am in the same boat. My credit union is run by idiots, it just keeps getting worse every year. You don’t go through one of their drive throughs, unless you have 1 1/2 hours to kill, that’s when there are only three or four people in the drive through.

Then the companies I deal with all the time, they will flag those transactions randomly as suspicious/fraudulent. So they put a hold on my card. I have called them and asked many times, why did you flag a charge from the company I buy stuff from almost daily. There are companies I buy from all the time, those are always the charges they randomly flag, then put a hold on my card, usually at the worst time. Like when they are closed and we are out of town, it’s pouring down rain and we need gas right now.

I could give you a list of other dumb crap they do. They are complete idiots, and they are supposed to be keeping my money and thousands of other peoples money safe. If the hackers or scammers ever learned how incompetent my credit union is, they would be cleaned out in a few days.

Comment

I've been a banker for 20 years at both very large banks and now a small family owned bank. There is no way I'd bank with one of the mega banks any more. They are a mess with no customer service and are so big you can't get to the right person to get anything done. I don't bank where I work (no one here needs to see my stuff) but I moved all my accounts to a small local bank and the ease of doing things is a million times better than where I banked before (BBVA). I haven't missed a big branch network in the least. Besides a free ATM whats the need to have branches everywhere anyway? I can do everything I need to online and if I have a problem I can call and get an actual person to pick up.

Comment

I really like the WF app. Super easy to move money.

Comment

Left Wells Fargo long ago (not soon enough).

Comment

Funny. We use Wells Fargo and have had great experience with them. When we travel overseas, no issues with business accepting our Wells Fargo Card. Some of your local banks/CU may not get that service, so keep that in mind if you travel. We were with a local bank for years and had great service from them, but just some limited access when traveling away from home state.

At the office we use Chase. We get good service from them also from the commercial side...but we also hold a pretty large account .

Comment

I do like the ease of the BOA app for paying bills. Do most small banks have features like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            I've been a banker for 20 years at both very large banks and now a small family owned bank. There is no way I'd bank with one of the mega banks any more. They are a mess with no customer service and are so big you can't get to the right person to get anything done. I don't bank where I work (no one here needs to see my stuff) but I moved all my accounts to a small local bank and the ease of doing things is a million times better than where I banked before (BBVA). I haven't missed a big branch network in the least. Besides a free ATM whats the need to have branches everywhere anyway? I can do everything I need to online and if I have a problem I can call and get an actual person to pick up.

^^^This^^^

I was also a banker for 24 years, mostly the mega banks (before they got so mega), and with a smaller bank. The big banks have screwed their expenses down and increased revenues. They are frustrating to deal with now.

Comment

Originally posted by joeshooter View Post
                              here to say Frost bank has been great for 25+ years with my accounts. customer service is excellent you get to speak to person who pulls up your information, handles the issue and answers questions for you as best they can. nothing bit good things to say about Frost Bank
                              ^This. I have had business and personal accounts with Frost for 30 years. Great people. Bank of America are woke commies. Their refusal to finance gun manufacturers tells you all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                                Funny. We use Wells Fargo and have had great experience with them. When we travel overseas, no issues with business accepting our Wells Fargo Card. Some of your local banks/CU may not get that service, so keep that in mind if you travel. We were with a local bank for years and had great service from them, but just some limited access when traveling away from home state.

At the office we use Chase. We get good service from them also from the commercial side...but we also hold a pretty large account .
                                That is what credit cards are for. I wouldn't trust using my debit card abroad regardless of what bank I use.

Comment

Working...
                                X