Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“It’s just a bear”

“It’s just a bear”

I still have memories of being that small 4 year old shooting my .22 browning lever action rifle out of the bed of my dads old blue tacoma. He would take me to the woods with him almost every time, even when I was a pain. He taught me what hunting truly was, and what it means to put in the work and bring home food. Taught me to appreciate the art of hunting and be thankful. He gave me a passion that I’ve carried ever since. For 24 years he has never stopped. He’s a man of few words and never asks for anything. I’ve never once in my life felt like I could ever thank him or repay him for all those times in the woods, the lessons, and teaching me what now is what I love most. That being said there has always been one thing he’s wanted and spoke about that he couldn’t get where we lived and never had the chance to go after. A bear. All the years growing up hunting he’d talk about hunting a western bear one day before he’s gone. Around the age of 14 I promised him one day I’d either send him on a bear hunt or take him on one. It took me some years but I was able to finally fulfill that promise by moving to Colorado and leading him into the backcountry. It’s the very first time in my life that I feel I could somewhat thank him and return the favor for everything he’s done for me. To many, people will see this and say “it’s just a bear.” I have already heard it from others.
    To me, this is over two decades of hard work, dreaming, praying, and wanting to give my father the only thing he ever really “asked” for.
    11 days in the backcountry of Colorado, 0 showers, over 55 miles on foot, cold sleepy nights in our tents. On September 10th 2022 5 days after my fathers birthday we filled the tag I’ve been waiting and dreaming of for all those years.
    This is what hunting means to me.
    Thank you lord for the memory of a lifetime.
    To most of you reading this, it’s just a bear. To me, more than you’ll ever know.
    Love you dad, I’m proud of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome story and lifelong trophy (the hunt just as much as the bear).

Comment

I have no desire to shoot a bear, and even I can tell that’s more than “just a bear”. Awesome memories you made.

Comment

This is awesome. Much respect.

Comment

Congrats on a great trophy! Thanks also for sharing the story. I too had always dreamed of taking a bear ever since I was a toddler - more so than any other animal. I finally got the chance when I was in my early 60s, and it was a huge and long awaited award. So I know how your father feels. Great job.

Comment

That’s awesome man. My dad means the world to me so I get it.

Comment

Congrats and awesome story

Comment

What an awesome story and so cool you could do that for him!

Comment

Awesome write up and congrats to you both.

Comment

What's a fella in Colorado doing on TEXAS bowhunter?!

All joking aside brother, many congrats. Awesome story, and thank you for sharing. It's definitely a something special. I also thank you for reminding me just how patient my dad was with me and how much he taught me outdoors. I hope to pass it on too my son too!

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

Comment

Handsome critter!
                        Well done Mr94Sr. I hope it eats good.
                        Thanks for sharing Mr94

Comment

Congratulations to both of you! Y'all will remember this adventure!

Comment

That looks like a dream coming true for both father and son. Anyone that thinks that's just a bear doesn't get hunting for what it really is. It's the dreaming, planning, pursuing, time spent and memories made by father and son. And if lucky taking the animal is just a plus. Great story thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Thank you for sharing! That's a great bear, and I appreciate you following thru on the hunt with your dad. Love it! Hope you both learn from this and can get him more over the next years.

Comment

Working...
                              X