No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing exciting yet in Newton county. Same old scraggly does are hitting the feeders. Seen one maybe two bucks all year on camera. I don't even get hogs often on my camera.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting a couple on camera
      Attached Files

Comment

I really think nutrition is the limiting factor on my newton lease. We have bucks on camera for multiple years that can't get out of the 120s. Last year I really thought our top buck would hopefully be in the 140s this year but looks like he's backslide a littleClick image for larger version

Name:	89fe71c2-d822-4246-aeda-9c88bcb82472.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	24688535Click image for larger version

Name:	927efae0-0359-429e-b0c6-b57f8672f6fe.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	24688536Click image for larger version

Name:	44b0448b-b9b3-4176-93fd-5b4e382a5d08.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	24688537

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I am ready to get back from Florida for my clinical rotations and get my fields ready for a fall food plot. I have a few good deer showing up this year and a ton of good young deer as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
            I really think nutrition is the limiting factor on my newton lease. We have bucks on camera for multiple years that can't get out of the 120s. Last year I really thought our top buck would hopefully be in the 140s this year but looks like he's backslide a little
            You're exactly right. I know our lease could go to the next level if we all fed, but I have a hard time justifying the cost when you're on a year-to-year contract.

And if you're the only person doing it, you're really just wasting time and money.

Comment

Gentlemen,

My knowledge of bow hunting East Texas bucks was zero when I joined the lease 3 years ago and thanks to all of you, I have been writing down all of the advice / input I can find on these yearly threads. I greatly appreciate all of the input!

Your advice worked. I built 2 hand corn feeder pens in remote areas where other hunters do not go on my lease (total of 5 for 500 acres - high pressure). The first one is only does. The second one is covered in mature dear and has a bachelor group of 6 deer hitting the hand corn w/ vanilla spray. I would estimate 2 of them are 5 1/2 years or older and would score around 135 to 145!

I am trying to hunt this spot come October and I have a couple questions I do know the answers to and wanted get your input:

1) The bucks are only coming out at night, about 1-2 hours past sunset. Is there anything I can do to increase my odds of a day-light sighting / shot in October?

2) Should I build my tree stand over the feeder pen or should I drop some new hand corn about 50 yards away from the feeder pen and set up there to hunt in October? I finally found some mature shooters that others have never seen and I don't want to ruin this hand-corn spot for future years - would hunting directly over it ruin it? I don't have a lot of other options to hunt where others don't go so trying to kill the bucks without ruining it b/c I have no idea or experience here.

3) When in the season would you think is best to hunt it? Might scare all of them away? Or should I try and hunt the area October 20 - Nov 5 when only a single buck might be cruising?

I really appreciate the input and can't wait for the responses!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                That might be a gold mine. I looked around pretty good and see almost no acorns here. Of course one eye is blind. Heck after surgery Tuesday there may be a full crop!!lol
                [emoji1787][emoji1787] Good luck with the eye

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you keep corning, they will start coming in daylight. The key is setting up where you can get in and out on a certain wind. I wouldn't put corn outside the oven or you will be inviting the hogs to ruin your spot

Comment

Appreciate the input. Should I be concerned about shooting over the feeder pen if multiple other bucks are there at one time? Would this train them it is a death trap and might not hit it again?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Boys, it is gonna be a historic big buck year in east tx. Unlike the area barely west of us, we had enough spring rain to really get the ball rolling. Couple that with deer coming out of winter in amazing condition, and a near non existent acorn crop from what I am seeing... we are about to shoot some studs. Horns are looking super in leon, Houston, and trinity cos.

I'm perking up pretty good.
                      Dont jinx it man

Comment

The deer look extra healthy at our etx place. I am still looking for a really nice 10 w/kickers that seemed to make it through last season. Acorn crop looks to be same as other years. I will look again next trip but we have about 7-8 big oaks that the deer flock to and they all seemed to be carrying typical loads.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
                          Appreciate the input. Should I be concerned about shooting over the feeder pen if multiple other bucks are there at one time? Would this train them it is a death trap and might not hit it again?
                          No. Especially if bow hunting. Decide who's on the hit list and shoot him as soon as you can. During Oct, it's unlikely you will have that issue anyway.

Comment

Do you guys ever mess around with Mock Scrapes? If so, what are the thoughts of putting one near a hand-corn feeder pen where you could see the pen and the mock scrape?-

Not sure if a mock scrape would be a good idea or a bad idea next to a feeding area. Never done one before.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Do you guys ever mess around with Mock Scrapes? If so, what are the thoughts of putting one near a hand-corn feeder pen where you could see the pen and the mock scrape?-

Not sure if a mock scrape would be a good idea or a bad idea next to a feeding area. Never done one before.

Thanks for the input!

I’ve been looking into it. I’m probably going to use synthetic buck urine and some other stuff. Look into some podcasts with a guy named Troy Pottenger. He hunts big deer in the Idaho mountains. I think it will work especially if the deer thinks that’s his pen or is active around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Thanks for the input!

I have a natural scrape near my hand corn on the trail coming to it. I keep a dripper over it starting late September through the season to keep it fresh. They use it every year.

If you have a good trail to your pen with a good licking branch set it up with a cam. I’ve made mock scrapes before and they work just as well.

I’ll see 15-20 different bucks visit it and some never touch the corn. It’s less than 50 yards from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X