Long range hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range hunting?

I keep seeing people promoting long range hunting ? Legit saw a buddy today post a pic with a guy saying first deer at 900 yards. Seems like a good gig to me. Get someone 500 yards plus from a deer and if they hit your a hero? If they miss they suck? [emoji2369]

So how about this. I will guarantee you,”if you can sit your *** still” a 10 yard shot at either a pig or a deer?? There are lots of guys on here looking for their first bow kill that could use that guarantee. I am joking obviously. But seriously [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So whats your question?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
      So whats your question?
      I think the question is how far away from the animal can you get and still call it hunting instead of a technical shooting exercise.

Comment

For me it’s all about the ethical harvest of an animal. I’m not confident in my ability with long range shooting. The risk of making a non lethal shot is too high to suite me so I personally keep it close.

Comment

Thats why i dont call hunting a sport. Shooting bows is a sport, long range shooting is a sport but killing a living breathing creature is not sport. Missing your 900 yard steel targets center dot by 3 inches is not the same as blowing the guts out of an animal at 900 yds

Comment

It’s hard to judge what should and shouldn’t be done.

Just because you can’t doesn’t mean I shouldn’t.

Shooting game with a rifle at distance is no different than shooting an animal with a bow outside 30 yards.

Risk goes up but that’s when tons of practice and knowing your equipment comes in play.

No matter how far an animal is things can go wrong.

Comment

Since this is “my thing”, I’ll bite.
              I agree it’s not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, it’s not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
              Is it “hunting”? That’s to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if it’s really “hunting”. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the “ethical kill” soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldn’t be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didn’t get posted.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.
              Last edited by Trevor73402; 10-10-2019, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Hunters fighting hunters are a bigger threat to our heritage than any anti-hunting group.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                  I agree it’s not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, it’s not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
                  Is it “hunting”? That’s to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if it’s really “hunting”. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the “ethical kill” soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldn’t be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didn’t get posted.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane.

Well Said

Comment

Originally posted by trevor73402 View Post
                    since this is “my thing”, i’ll bite.

Again, i don’t think it’s for everyone, but i don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane.
                    bingo

Comment

Not a fan, just me, but I will stay in my lane good advice

Comment

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.
                        Totally agree

Comment

[emoji106]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Last edited by Radar; 10-10-2019, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I guess I should clarify. I see nothing wrong with shooting stuff that far if that’s what it takes to get the job done. It’s more of the fact people are guiding someone for the purpose of shooting that far that is weird to me. I just find it super weird to set up for a 900 yard shot when it would be super easy to get a 300 yard shot.

I was just poking fun at people willing to pay to get that far from an animal, I wonder what they would pay to get 10 yards lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X