Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right handed, left eye dominant archery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will be doing him a favor by letting him shoot left handed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go left handed. I fought it for years and made the switch to a left handed bow about 4-5 years ago. It was awkward at first but I’m shooting much better now.

Comment

I agree with left eyed , left hand bow or gun. His being young will help him adjust quicker. Once he gets used to it he will thank you later. “Go with the flow and worry no mo.”

Comment

I left eye right hand and with my bow but left hand with a rifle. I do ok but I can't see the target as good as I could when I was younger.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Let him shoot left. I am right eye dominate. Shot right handed for 25 years. I developed target panic so I switched to left handed. Took no time to pick it up. Will be better for him to shoot with his dominate eye. That's the only issue I have switching to left. Can't shoot with both eyes open.

Comment

Let him shoot left.

I am right handed, left eye dominant, and left footed, so generally all effed up. I came to bow hunting later (36 or so) and had struggled with consistency for years with a shotgun shooting right handed.

Anyway, when I bought my first bow, the guy in the bow shop told me to get a lefty bow so I went with it and it has worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBow25 View Post
                Im right handed but left eye dominant. shoot bow and rifle left handed
                Ditto.

Comment

My son is right handed left eye dominant. He shoots a gun and bow left handed.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                    Wow some of the responses. You can't shoot right handed with both eyes open if you are left eye dominant. Why do you think so many people close their left eye when shooting?

Yes it is better to keep both eyes open when shooting a shotgun. But, if you are right handed and left eye dominant, you have two choices. 1) squint or close your left eye. 2) learn to shoot left handed.
                    Correct.

I'm someone who realized I was cross eye dominant as an adult (left eye dominant, right handed) and it's too late for me to learn to shoot left handed so I have to close my left eye. Luckily with a bow you have a peep sight. It's much harder with a shotgun.

Comment

I am left eye dominant. I write and shoot shotguns and rifles left-handed. But, I eat, throw, bowl, and shoot a bow and pistol right-handed. All of the above is very awkward and pretty much impossible with the other hand. Just let him the kiddos do what comes natural. I'm a better shot than most and am glad nobody 'taught' (i.e. forced) me to do things different.

Comment

I'm left eye and hand dominant. Grew up playing baseball left handed but golf and all shooting right handed. Handgun coach convinced me to shoot left handed a couple of years ago and was instantly better.

Decided to switch to a left handed bow this year. Haven't hunted yet, but my groups are good. It felt comfortable immediately, and I feel like I see the target better. Your son probably already has a sense for what he's most comfortable with if he's already started shooting at school. I suspect your local bow shop will let him shoot a lefty bow some to see if he just hates it before you make an investment.

Comment

Let him shoot which ever one is more comfortable and shoot with both eyes open

Comment

I've been "legally blind" in my right eye since birth. But, I'm naturally right handed.

Started shooting b.b. guns left handed when I was 3 or 4. Didn't get coached that way, just figgered I could see the sights better I guess, lol.

I've always shot long guns and bows LH. Pistols I shoot RH.

Seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by BW412 View Post
                              I teach NASP through my PE class. I always have the right handed kids who are left eye dominate start with a left handed bow. After a little while I will let them try the right handed bow. They almost always go back to the left handed.
                              THIS^^^^^

I coach NASP and USA Archery and this is the preferred method for beginners.
                              Start em on their dominant eye so they can shoot with the benefit of both eyes open.

If they struggle with a LH bow, then obviously let em switch and try a right handed.

I am right handed, left eye dominant, but I'm somewhat cross-dominant, so I either wear a patch or wink.

Comment

I have this same problem but didn't know it until I was shooting a shotgun and my buddy said I could shoot better if I opened both eyes. Boy was he wrong, I couldn't hit anything with both eyes open. But after 45 years of archery it would be hard for me to change.

Comment

Working...
                                X