SE Iowa Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got lucky today with the forecast.

I broadcast 500 lbs. of a blend of P&K and MAP fertilizer my food plots Got it down just as the rain started.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post

I broadcast 500 lbs. of a blend of P&K and MAP fertilizer my food plots Got it down just as the rain started.

Boy, you did ! I’m looking for that very thing but it looks pretty grim here.

Comment

We need some of that rain, can you send some down?

Comment

I would definitely go with an outfitter. What zone are you thinking about trying to draw.

Here are a few that I have heard good things about.

Zone 5 Thunder Ridge Outfitters
          Thunder Ridge has ground in Zone 4 & Zone 5.

Zone 6 Whiskey Ridge Hunts

Zone 6 Big Buck Down Outfitters
          BBD Outfitters might have ground in Zone 5 also.

Thank you, the zone that is in southeast... zone 5 and zone 6 I have heard that is the spot

Comment

It measures 7' wide. An Amish friend of mine thinks it was an old horse drawn that was converted to a 3 point hook up.

An archery friend here in Iowa gave it to me. He said it has been sitting in his pasture for 25 years. He said it might as well be sitting in your pasture.[emoji1]

It has some John Deere green on the axles where the discs turn, but it definitely has been modified over the years. I was surprised my B2601 could pick it up, because it's real heavy. The little Kubota handles it fine

I forgot to tell you thanks for the information. I was curious if it would lift it or not. I have an l3901 and I think they recommend a five footer. The five foot land pride disc impriced last year was around $1800. If I remember correctly. I have a rotary tiller but I am eventually going to get a pull disk.

Comment

👍👍

Best of luck this season, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                Thank you, the zone that is in southeast... zone 5 and zone 6 I have heard that is the spot
                We live in zone 5 about 4 miles from the dividing line between zone 5 and 6.

Unless you plan to look at a lot of public ground and have time for a few late summer scouting trips I would go with an outfitter. You'll pay for a good one, but its worth it. I know of a couple who can (probably) get you on a 150+. (The ones I mentioned above.) Killing that 150+ buck is a whole different deal, but knowing that age class deer is around is a confidence booster.

Due to Iowa's non resident popularity everyone thinks they are outfitters up here and many are not. Many outfitters claim to have a lot of ground, but in reality they are hunting the heck out of some very small areas where they actually have some decent deer. In my opinion if they are charging a fine for killing a buck less than 140" the above mentioned is the case. They want you to pay them to come and hunt but they don't want you to kill anything.

The good thing about hunting with an outfitter like the ones I mentioned above is that they have been watching the deer all spring and summer. Most of them are running a lot of cameras in a lot of different places. If they get a text of a big buck on a different property they can move you midday.

Comment

Looking good...always enjoy your posts/insight!

Comment

One month update on food plots on our farm in Iowa.

Click on link to watch the video.

Comment

love the work mike. Keep up up and stay after it.

Comment

Working...
                      X