No announcement yet.

Texas Tuna Safaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every trip is different. I know a lot of fish come off chunks and if live flyers are available that is a high percentage bait. I just like standing in the corner throwing some type of lure for the most part. And just so everyone knows Doug gets the back starboard corner. That is kinda a given

Comment

Seems most of the “big” fish winners have come from chunk. Jigs catch but you gotta get them past the blackfin which sometimes isnt gonna happen

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
        On past trips what percentage of yellowfin were caught chunking vs jigging vs casting lures? Thanks
        Just depends on the trip. Chunking and lures usually always catch fish though. I dont remember many yellowfin on jigs jut they will tear up the blackfin. An almost surefire bite is a live flying fish.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Every trip is different. I know a lot of fish come off chunks and if live flyers are available that is a high percentage bait. I just like standing in the corner throwing some type of lure for the most part. And just so everyone knows Doug gets the back starboard corner. That is kinda a given
          I do kinda like that spot !

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
            Todd, with ocean perch, the reel isn’t broke just because line is screaming off of it. Lol
            If we hear a zing on the hookset we think we’ve done something!!😃

Comment

There will be hooks on some tackle on the boat. Also if you have never been on these you will see deckhands and Capt. fishing for a bite. If you are standing there when they hook up you will just have a rod in your grill with a tuna on.

Comment

Yea debating on upsizing line. Right now have a avet lx raptor with 65 braid and 50 mono. This is on a penn slammer 30 to 80 pole. I can cast with it since it has the mag control. Also have a 9/0 senator with 120 braid and 80 mono. This is on a penn mariner rod 30 to 80. Thinking I need to upsize the mono on the 9/0 to 100. Then bring the avet up to the 80lb. But the 80 will prob hurt my casting.
                Last edited by jhunter77; 09-22-2022, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Tie that 50# on a fence post and try and break it. I use 60# a lot. Just kill them before they boat rash you.

Casting distance is a big advantage

Comment

Will the boat have flats of frozen pogie to get started chunking or is it a catch your own blackfin for bait thing?

Comment

Yea debating on upsizing line. Right now have a avet lx raptor with 65 braid and 50 mono. This is on a penn slammer 30 to 80 pole. I can cast with it since it has the mag control. Also have a 9/0 senator with 120 braid and 80 mono. This is on a penn mariner rod 30 to 80. Thinking I need to upsize the mono on the 9/0 to 100. Then bring the avet up to the 80lb. But the 80 will prob hurt my casting.

I can’t speak for the others but that LX Raptor is awesome. Me and my bro each run a pair of those on United Composite Predator rods. 80# hollow core to 80# mono. No problem casting a good lure way out past the lights.
                      I caught 4 or 5 last year on lures. My brother was netting live flying fish and caught 4-5 free lining them off the back of the boat. We have a fantastic custom net setup this year specifically for catching live flyers.
                      Year before, our success was Blackfin chunks.
                      And… Year before that was a good mix of chunks and lures.
                      So yeah, it varies a bit.

The only thing that doesn’t vary is the shear amount of fun this trip is. We look forward to it every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Toledo. We will catch blackfin for chum and bait. Boat has coolers with bait but fresh chunks seem to outfish

Comment

I have no idea what to expect but I am looking forward to the experience

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            I have no idea what to expect but I am looking forward to the experience

Expect to have a freaking blast, not sleeping for 48 hours, killing tuna with a band of brothers, getting thoroughly whooped by a fish half your weight, while doing the tuna two-step circles around boat with 5 other tight lines, with everyone screaming, “its wide open” “coming down the rail” “flyer” …. Nothing quite like it.

Comment

Others can correct me here, but… The break off is not usually in the mainline, unless they get hooked deep and chew through, but thats why I run 80braid/100mono. The break almost always happens at a connection, like braid to mono or mono to hook. You have to match line to your specific setup. The lx raptor puts out 38lbs drag, which is hard to hold onto. I run 80/100 waiting for that small chance I hang a 150-200 lb fish and really need to push that drag lever forward more, but fish that big are rare, and I rarely ever push drag past strike. I think this is why most crew and anglers use 65# braid. Just my opinion from limited experience, seems like best thing to do is get a luggage scale, practice tie a bunch of knots and break them. If you practice with the line and connections and knots that you plan to use on the boat, and consistently happy with the break strength compared to drag you will use, then you have no reason to upsize your line. The drag doesnt go near the line strength right? Thats the safety factor for all the crap that goes on the water and can not be accounted for. Yes - I love this way too much and take it way too seriously. As Glen reminds me often… sometimes the fish gotta win.

Comment

Too bad this is full I’d love to get in. If anyone from the Denton area is going and needs any equipment reach out to me. Avet HXW Raptor with 100 pound braid and 100 mono top shot on a Connley 30-50 with Winthrop. Saragosa 8000 with 65 braid on a Connley 12-20. Have an extra Empty 12-20 spin rod too.

Comment

Working...
                                X