No announcement yet.

New World Record long distance shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

even walking it on is impressive. If you are off by 20 yards how much would you move the barrel to correct it? a small fraction of an inch? if the wind changes 2mph what does that do to the travel. I don't understand anyone throwing shade on this unless they have done better.

the speed of the earths rotation is 1500 feet per second or thereabout.

Comment

The highest point of the trajectory arc was over 2500 feet. That is two Empire State buildings stacked on top of each other.

Spin drift on the bullet from the right hand rifling was over 36 MOA but with conditions they had 53 MOA cranked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        The highest point of the trajectory arc was over 2500 feet. That is two Empire State buildings stacked on top of each other.

Spin drift on the bullet from the right hand rifling was over 36 MOA but with conditions they had 53 MOA cranked in.
        Where did you find these other details?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Where did you find these other details?
          On September 13, 2022 the World Record Extreme Long Range Shot was made at 4.4 miles in Wyoming by Nomad Rifleman.

Had a Vortex scope on it too, Lol.
          Last edited by Radar; 09-22-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

It’s incredibly impressive! 2585yds itself is hard to imagine shooting cold.

Why doesn’t he try it at 4+ miles? Why not 2 1/2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Why not get on a mountain and shoot out 10 or 12 miles? Just need a few thousand rounds of cheap ammo and 1 or 2 hundred spotters.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              CURVE???? It's flat haven't you heard the latest??
              My Bad
              A flat 4.4 mile shot would be way to simple

Comment

https://nomadrifleman.com/world-record-shot/

Good article!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Man what do you know about long range stuff bro?!

That’s WAY more impressive. That’s incredibly difficult.
                  Originally posted by kck View Post
                  I wasn't gonna jump in but I have to agree with Jake 100%. 4 for 4 at 2585 on 36" blows my skirt up way more (I don't normally wear a skirt but it is 2022 and $20 is $20...)
                  I understand exactly what you guys are saying. I don't do the ELR stuff, but I appreciate what people are able to accomplish with it. But what you guys are talking about, and what these guys did are hardly the same thing. It's like comparing John Force in his funny car winning 4 titles in a row, to some guy getting a car to 400Mph on the flats at Bonneville. They are the same at their core, but they have entirely different goals and means to get there, because they face different obstacles. Someone has to push the envelope, and someone has to find a way to make it somewhat repeatable. Both still extremely impressive.

And btw, at some point some guy hit a target at 2500yds for the 1st time, with his umpteenth shot, was the 1st to do it, and they used that data and technology to come up with the stuff that guys use now to make that shot 4 of 4 cold.

This "Luck" bull**** still isn't going to fly at 4.4 miles, the variables are just too numerous, and too extreme. I don't have the working knowledge that some of you guys on this thread do, but I KNOW the luck theory is bull****. You can decide for yourself what is more impressive, but save the "anyone could do it in 70 shots" nonsense....that's pure ignorance.

I wish they had a spray chart available of the previous 68 shots, but that would be very difficult to do based on the fact the "spotters" have to go purely by the sound of the bullets impact. At that range the speed/angle of the bullets were such that they don't make "dust", just penetrate the ground. I'd also really like to know if they shot any more after the bullseye, and what that looked like. I'm sure they're saving all of the details for a youtube video, or something they can monetize. And maybe they couldn't get close again, the article itself said that it was "not statistically repeatable". Of course, they likely said that the 1st time someone did it at 2500yds too.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                    My Bad
                    A flat 4.4 mile shot would be way to simple
                    Yep....you just walk it on target.

Comment

I think for those that taking the approach, "I can do that in 70 attempts".....go give it a try at a mile on an 8 inch target and let us know if you get even close.

Video please and let us know who is taking/holding the money on the bets.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        Get down range and listen to arrows. Some make a whirring noise, some whistle and the worst is feathers making an almost buzzing sound. The more helical the louder.
                        Ive heard some just up range but my donkeys and cows spook from down range when I shoot so I know they hear them.

50 cal necked down to 40 cal is super cool.

I gotta read more to see if they set up for a counter vailing wind to counteract the bullet spin drift. And….
                        How did the shooter see around the barrel?

I thought several things were very interesting from the first article posted:
                        They were shooting blind but the posted article doesnt say so specifically. Listening for impact because the bullets were so slow they werent kicking up dust and dirt. Shooter and spotters were blinded.

They used a shorter and fatter projectile versus a normal ELR long and skinny projectile.

They didnt use full scope power but dialed back for better sight clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Why not get on a mountain and shoot out 10 or 12 miles? Just need a few thousand rounds of cheap ammo and 1 or 2 hundred spotters.
                          Exhibit A...lol

Comment

https://nomadrifleman.com/world-record-shot/

Thanks for the link.

Pretty interesting that they used a Vortex scope, and Leupold rings. There's a ton of guys on here that spend 3X that much on glass and rings to shoot 800yards. Nightforce, Huskemaw, Talley, etc...
                            Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-22-2022, 11:44 AM.

Comment

This "Luck" bull**** still isn't going to fly at 4.4 miles, the variables are just too numerous, and too extreme. I don't have the working knowledge that some of you guys on this thread do, but I KNOW the luck theory is bull****. You can decide for yourself what is more impressive, but save the "anyone could do it in 70 shots" nonsense....that's pure ignorance.
                              Its LUCK Dale. If the bullet passed thru a buzzard fart during its flight, it would throw it of by 50 ft.

This is why I stay out of the PACE and the Collage football thread.

Comment

Originally posted by riverrat1 View Post
                                well after 5, 10,20 or 60 shots is it considered random luck?
                                this

Comment

Working...
                                X