New World Record long distance shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
    I think it would be fun to do this if I had the time and money.

Calculation of the ideal bullet path is childs play in today's measurement systems and compute environments.
    Shoot enough and you'll eventually hit a 1" target. All about statistics at that point.

69 shots vs 169 vs 690, where do you stop, for records sake.
    If people could clear their heads and pretend like this thread didn't exist... Then ask themselves how many rounds shot at a target need to connect to be a record? I 100% promise no one on TBH would have said more than 20 rounds for one decent hit.... No one.

Why not 10,000 rounds?

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
    If I start slinging lead now…I should be able to break that before I kick the bucket
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And when you hit it I expect people here to tell you it was skill

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    So now that they are dialed in, they should be able to repeat it in the next 10 or 15 shots. That would convince me that pure luck wasn't the major factor in this scenario.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Do it again a couple more times in under 20 shots.

And I never said it was all luck. Sure it takes math and skills (mad skills, money, and time) to shoot that far.

BTW - Trophy8, you could hit that target in 65 shots
    Last edited by RiverRat1; 09-21-2022, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      If people could clear their heads and pretend like this thread didn't exist... Then ask themselves how many rounds shot at a target need to connect to be a record? I 100% promise no one on TBH would have said more than 20 rounds for one decent hit.... No one.

Why not 10,000 rounds?

And when you hit it I expect people here to tell you it was skill

Exactly. Do it again a couple more times in under 20 shots.

And I never said it was all luck. Sure it takes math and skills (mad skills, money, and time) to shoot that far.

BTW - Trophy8, you could hit that target in 65 shots
      Imma need quite a few shots

I’d be really interested to try with that set up! I’ve only shot just past 1800. Them boys are on a different level with that gear.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Weren’t you saying you only run cheap optics too?

You would be amazed at what a top end rig can to with even a mediocre shooter
        On my guns. I've used some pretty good scopes too though. It's more or less what I can afford but I've used Nightforce,Zeiss and all kinds of Leupold scopes. I just don't own any myself. I probably won't ever own a Nightforce most likely. They're nice but not nice to my bank account.

Comment

Couch snipers are gonna complain no matter what record is broken.....

Comment

It’s got nothing to do with any record, for me. It’s four point four ****ing MILES!

Comment

So we all understand 100 yards. This shot was 7700. So take your "comfortable" distance of 1 x 77 football fields.

But if you make it in less than 69 shots, to me that is a new record. Same distance with less attempts is a new record in my book. Let's beat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                It’s the same logic a child uses when they watch a grown up do something they don’t understand.
                Stealing. And spot on.

Comment

Some of y’all must also think these guys are also the best “shooters” in the world.

Sure hitting a target that far away is impressive, but there’s also luck, chance, or whatever you want to call it. They did everything technology possibly to prepare and it still took 69 tries to hit it once.

Congrats to them

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    I knew an older feller who was working with another older feller, both reloaders attempting to break a long distance shooting record. My aqcquaintance helped out his friend by hiding behind the engine block of a truck parked down range to watch the target. At some point, hearing the bullets as they went overhead, he was hearing whirring. Which to him meant the bullets were tumbling and they had to go back to the reloading bench and change the cartridge concoction.
                    Get down range and listen to arrows. Some make a whirring noise, some whistle and the worst is feathers making an almost buzzing sound. The more helical the louder.

Comment

I think if the phrase “here hold my beer & watch this” had been interjected at the start would make the shot more impressive

All joking aside….that’s an unimaginable shot

Comment

In the time it took them to make 69 shots, I could walk 4.4 miles casually and knife them.

It is pretty cool how much the ELR shooting is taking off and what they are doing today vs. just two years ago. This is a driver for technology to go further and further. End goal is to get back to our military to make them better. My buddy Derek Love shot a world record last weekend in Kansas. 4 for 4 (cold bore first shot) at 2585 yds on a 36" square target. That to me is more impressive than lobbing 69 into the abyss

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                          In the time it took them to make 69 shots, I could walk 4.4 miles casually and knife them.

It is pretty cool how much the ELR shooting is taking off and what they are doing today vs. just two years ago. This is a driver for technology to go further and further. End goal is to get back to our military to make them better. My buddy Derek Love shot a world record last weekend in Kansas. 4 for 4 (cold bore first shot) at 2585 yds on a 36" square target. That to me is more impressive than lobbing 69 into the abyss
                          Now that's impressive.

That's 1.47 ****ing miles Dale

Comment

4 for 4 (cold bore first shot) at 2585 yds on a 36" square target. That to me is more impressive than lobbing 69 into the abyss
                            Definitely much more impressive than shooting over 3 boxes before hitting a "record." Not that I could do either one

Comment

Man what do you know about long range stuff bro?!

That’s WAY more impressive. That’s incredibly difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                It’s got nothing to do with any record, for me. It’s four point four ****ing MILES!
                                So if some random guy sets up a target at 4.5 miles (or 4.41) and hits the target but takes 3,000 rounds is he the new record holder in your book?

There have to be some lines drawn or rules set of some kind or it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                                So we all understand 100 yards. This shot was 7700. So take your "comfortable" distance of 1 x 77 football fields.

But if you make it in less than 69 shots, to me that is a new record. Same distance with less attempts is a new record in my book. Let's beat it!
                                This is at least a logical way to look at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X