SE Iowa Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Iowa Food Plots

I am planting our food plots this week on our farm in SE Iowa.

Prairie Creek Seeds Cool Season Combo with 10 additional pounds of Brassicas (turnips and radishes) added in to the mix. I will overseed with cereal rye around September 15th.

For updates on our food plots and hunting our SE Iowa farm please subscribe to our YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/4rNjqyFT-aw

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Always enjoy following your journeys mike.

Comment

Mike, how do you compete with the Ag crops?

Looking forward to your season thread

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        Mike, how do you compete with the Ag crops?

Looking forward to your season thread
        You can't compete. There is food everywhere. Soy beans, alfalfa, corn, and acorns. The food plots will start attracting the deer more once the crops are harvested.

The deer are always going to go to the best food. Right now that's beans and alfalfa. Soon corn and acorns.

In the first picture you can see the neighbor's corn and beans right behind my tractor. There are deer in those beans every night.

The deer in the other pictures are in my food plots (last year) after a lot of crops had been harvested.

Comment

Ok. Sounds like good timing.
          Deer in your plot in bright daylight. Thats pretty sweet

Comment

Looking good.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

What size disc are you pulling?

Comment

It measures 7' wide. An Amish friend of mine thinks it was an old horse drawn that was converted to a 3 point hook up.

An archery friend here in Iowa gave it to me. He said it has been sitting in his pasture for 25 years. He said it might as well be sitting in your pasture.[emoji1]

It has some John Deere green on the axles where the discs turn, but it definitely has been modified over the years. I was surprised my B2601 could pick it up, because it's real heavy. The little Kubota handles it fine

Comment

Two week update on my food plots. I ended up not planting until September 3. It has been very dry here and I was waiting on some rain. I planted on the 3rd with rain in the forecast. Of course it didn't rain. We finally got some rain on the 10th, but the ground was so dry it didn't have much effect.

Last Wednesday my wife and I drove around our farm in the side by side. I told her that I think we might have one turnip that had germinated.[emoji26] The plots were basically bare dirt.

This past Saturday and Sunday we got about 2.5 inches of rain. I checked on the plots today and they are really taking off.

Here are a few pictures of some of the food plots and a nice sunset.

Here is a link to a video that I made on my walk around.

Comment

When I was working I used to plant when I had the time, regardless of moisture in the ground or in the forecast. If you don’t have enough moisture to germinate, the seed will lay there until you do. That’s how God does it ! Now I’m retired and so is my best friend and we plant when we want to. We still haven’t planted because there is no rain in sight. If we don’t get any, we’ll plant in October sometime regardless, at least we’ll dodge the Army worms ! Yours are coming on fine now. Looking forward to your annual hunting thread Mike !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      When I was working I used to plant when I had the time, regardless of moisture in the ground or in the forecast. If you don’t have enough moisture to germinate, the seed will lay there until you do. That’s how God does it ! Now I’m retired and so is my best friend and we plant when we want to. We still haven’t planted because there is no rain in sight. If we don’t get any, we’ll plant in October sometime regardless, at least we’ll dodge the Army worms ! Yours are coming on fine now. Looking forward to your annual hunting thread Mike !
                      I was helping my my neighbor chop corn for silage last week. I told him my food plots had not germinated. He said "Don't worry. They will come up eventually.....it might be next spring but they will come up".[emoji1]

Comment

That's where Im at. I could not plant last month when we had rain. Now that I can plant, no rain in sight! Gonna get it done this weekend.

Comment

Beats the hell out of food plots in Wise county!

Comment

Any recommendations on outfitters or private landowners in area for 2023 season? I have 4 points and next year going to try and draw with them.

Not sure if I will get to hunt Iowa again and I usually hunt public diy because I'm cheap. However, I'm seriously considering spending dough to get full Iowa experience and kill a big buck... 150in or better would be the goal.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                              Any recommendations on outfitters or private landowners in area for 2023 season? I have 4 points and next year going to try and draw with them.

Not sure if I will get to hunt Iowa again and I usually hunt public diy because I'm cheap. However, I'm seriously considering spending dough to get full Iowa experience and kill a big buck... 150in or better would be the goal.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
                              I would definitely go with an outfitter. What zone are you thinking about trying to draw.

Here are a few that I have heard good things about.

Zone 5 Thunder Ridge Outfitters
                              Thunder Ridge has ground in Zone 4 & Zone 5.

Zone 6 Whiskey Ridge Hunts

Zone 6 Big Buck Down Outfitters
                              BBD Outfitters might have ground in Zone 5 also.

Comment

Working...
                              X