Screwed by outfitter…any recourse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
    Just to clarify, it was a 4 man hunt and we mailed checks.
    So you’re out $3500, along with 3 buddies?

Comment

Unfortunately. Canadian courts will not support a gringo trying a Canadian. Seems like a scam from the beginning.

Comment

Geez, that sucks. Glad to know the $14k is split four ways at least. Although I guess that means it sucks for four guys instead of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
          Unfortunately. Canadian courts will not support a gringo trying a Canadian. Seems like a scam from the beginning.
          Why would it seem like a scam? The way I read it, he booked the hunt, then covid hit. You couldn’t travel to Canada during covid, Canada’s own citizens couldn’t get home. The outfitter had no income for 2yrs and I’m sure debts that were owed. Lenders didn’t care he had no clients able to get to his location. Bam, he’s broke.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
            It’s worth a phone call to an attorney. If he actually filed bankruptcy and didn’t just shut down his business, people that “lent” him money are entitled to the proceeds from auctioning off the equipment his company owned. Might not be anything, might be side by sides, trucks, boats, a warehouse, etc. If he set his business up correctly, you won’t be entitled to any of his personal property.
            & get a lien recorded
            “” Personal Property Security Act. The Personal Property Security Act refers to each of the statutes passed by the common law provinces and territories of Canada. All Canadian provinces have adopted the Personal Property Security Act””

Comment

Most outfitters work off the advance money, so that $14K was spent some time ago. It sucks but probably no recourse if he filed for bankruptcy.

Comment

I'd hate to be on either end of that. I'd hate to lose that much without some kind of compensation. On the other hand, that guide had likely had zero income for two years, and had to file for bankruptcy. Hate that he quit communicating, but there is probably nothing he can say that will help. He likely has already lost any and everything of value that he had.

Comment

You contact the court and get put on the list of folks that he owes money to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                    Why would it seem like a scam? The way I read it, he booked the hunt, then covid hit. You couldn’t travel to Canada during covid, Canada’s own citizens couldn’t get home. The outfitter had no income for 2yrs and I’m sure debts that were owed. Lenders didn’t care he had no clients able to get to his location. Bam, he’s broke.

Would you send $14k to an unknown outfit? If so, we are different people.

Comment

Man sorry to hear bud that sux. Same thing ish happened to me. Bought a fishing trip to fly into Vanvouver then biplane to lodge in 20’ for four and booked that first week September. Lodge cancelled it last minute from Covid bs. Rebooked per lodge recommendation for Sept 21’. Dude cancelled two weeks prior saying border would or was shut down but it opened as we knew it would. Rebooked again, no doubt 110% no bs gonna go Sept 2-8 a couple of weeks ago. All good til I called this dik (email actually, the dude or lodge never took calls or called back when I tried) cancelled again two weeks before the trip because he said Covid bs was to bad up there. I then told him dude this bullchit and I let the organization know this past time and apparently this lodge did it as well to whomever bought the same trip at a function up in Dallas this year. Cancelled on them last minute. Shall see what happens now but hope it’s not the same outfitter that may book hunts and fishing trips too. If so you know more about him filing bankruptcy than I do. PM me his name if you don’t mind or if you feel comfortable doing so. Best of luck to you and you’re buddies too.
                      Last edited by Texashookset; 09-18-2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                        You contact the court and get put on the list of folks that he owes money to.

This. Canadian police report along with your local. You’ll probably need to get a Canadian lawyer involved. You might get all, none or some of your money back but it will probably be a long time coming. Spending your deposit and not producing a hunt is still theft. Bankruptcy court doesn’t protect theft. Hopefully a lien can be placed on his future wages.

Comment

Did the outfitter provide any paperwork that outlined the money paid & circumstances for reimbursement, etc?
                          You get paid receipt? Just wondering if you have all the proof of payment, & any associated paperwork linking outfitter to the issue so when or if you take legal course you got it all in order

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                            Happened to many, many outfitters.

Comment

I hate to say it but for just $3500 and it being out of country it’s not worth it. Just chalk it up to lesson learned. In the future always pay with a cc that offers protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                                Would you send $14k to an unknown outfit? If so, we are different people.
                                Not at all, but it doesn’t sound like a scam. Sounds like a crappy deal for all parties involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X