No announcement yet.

Flounder gigging questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen, take you a little mesh drawstring bag when you go... This time of year and again in Spring if you're floundering and see a blue crab, touch it with the gig... If it's hard, it'll scoot away and you can hear the "tink" of the gig on its hard shell... BUT, you'll often find a soft shell one... Reach down and pick that sucker up and drop it in the bag and tie it to your stringer float... That's a for sure bonus!! I've had a few nights at POC where the soft shell crabs saved the night for us!!

Comment

Where did you go Glen? Between the lighthouse and the shrimp boat Channel is a good sand flat. Had good luck there in the fall run but I've never been there in July.

Comment

Great info being put out. Can “flats” be found by looking at charts of the bays?

SeƱor Glen, did you ever try to get after the shrimp with the cast net??

Comment

I went in Little Cut and Doug stuck one there and I stuck one on the flat on the outside shoreline between Trout cut (Traylor Island) and the ICW. If anyone has someplace the recommend in the area I’ll go check it for you

Comment

Tag

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Glen, take you a little mesh drawstring bag when you go... This time of year and again in Spring if you're floundering and see a blue crab, touch it with the gig... If it's hard, it'll scoot away and you can hear the "tink" of the gig on its hard shell... BUT, you'll often find a soft shell one... Reach down and pick that sucker up and drop it in the bag and tie it to your stringer float... That's a for sure bonus!! I've had a few nights at POC where the soft shell crabs saved the night for us!!
              Thats a pretty good idea Charlie. It was kind of weird though we saw very few crabs. I think I saw saw two the whole trip. Its been 5 or 6 years since I gigged but I remember seeing all kinds of crabs and shrimp in the lights. We saw mullet, piggies, a few other fish and a boatload of stingrays but no shrimp and just a couple crabs. Maybe has something to do with salinty level? Doesn't matter though we had a good time and there is flounder and a few trout to fry tomorrow night!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Great info being put out. Can ā€œflatsā€ be found by looking at charts of the bays?

SeƱor Glen, did you ever try to get after the shrimp with the cast net??
                I've found most of my flats over the years by driving across them and getting stuck, this usually equated to me either spending the night on my boat and drinking all my beer... or dragging some friends out of bed on a goose chase looking for me.

Obviously that was many moons ago, you can see them pretty good these days by looking at google earth.

Comment

Soft shelled crab, flounder, and giant shrimp in cast nets...

Making me super hungry for seafood!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    I went in Little Cut and Doug stuck one there and I stuck one on the flat on the outside shoreline between Trout cut (Traylor Island) and the ICW. If anyone has someplace the recommend in the area I’ll go check it for you
                    I've caught quite a few flounder on the St Joe's shoreline this time of year and the outside of Traylor during the day on windblown shorelines. I think it would be worth a look.

I assume you are gigging out of the boat? I'd think the big inside area of Mud (they call it Lake something?) would be worth a look with any kind of south wind, but you need to run pretty skinny to get in there.

Comment

I appreciate all the help. Started out with 2 cheap lights. One leaked and I ordered a mini swamp eye. Put it together today and will try it in the morning. It seems like the real deal. I haven’t been filling the boat but usually gig a few every time I try

Comment

Like the new light. About an hour and half. Stuck two big flounder.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yea, Glen, way to go.

Comment

I just bought a swamp eye. Good looking light.

Comment

Those are nice flatfish.

Comment

Man that is good eating

Comment

Working...
                                X