TPWD update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
    Curious as to what the proof of sex thing for processing facilities is? Are they saying they are now going to follow the letter of the law and require a testical/scrotum still be attached to the quarter/deer when brought in? I think 90% or more of us bring in deer to a processor without any true “proof of sex” and they never check.
    The letter of the law in texas says nothing about sex organs. There are no male or female deer, only bucks and antlerless. Sex organs are not proof of sex in Texas.

I think the proof of sex change they mention is allowing a skull cap as proof of sex instead of the whole head. This is for CWD stuff, allowing the brain/spinal matter to remain at the property where the animal was killed.

Edit:

Looks like they will now allow does to use sex organs as proof of sex.

The proposed amendment to §65.10 would also alter provisions governing proof of sex. The movement, and ultimately, the improper disposal of carcasses and carcass parts, particularly skulls, brains, and spinal cords, increases the risk of spreading CWD. Under current rule, proof-of-sex for deer is the head of the deer, which must accompany the carcass until a final destination is reached. The proposed new rule would provide an alternative to the current rules regarding proof of sex for female deer by allowing certain gender-related anatomical parts to accompany the carcass in lieu of the head. This would provide hunters an option to leave the head of a female deer at the site of harvest to reduce risk for the potential spread of CWD from that site.
    Last edited by JustinJ; 03-30-2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      No offense, I don’t care if you agree or not. I want to know if the law agrees. When it comes to nubbin bucks, it’s been my understanding forever that if there’s not a hard antler protruding through the skin then it’s antlerless.

Has that changed?
      From the link I posted earlier:

a buck deer is a deer having an antler point protruding through the skin or a deer having antler growth in velvet of greater than one inch.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
        The letter of the law in texas says nothing about sex organs. There are no male or female deer, only bucks and antlerless. Sex organs are not proof of sex in Texas.

I think the proof of sex change they mention is allowing a skull cap as proof of sex instead of the whole head. This is for CWD stuff, allowing the brain/spinal matter to remain at the property where the animal was killed.

Edit:

Looks like they will now allow does to use sex organs as proof of sex.
        now we got some woke*** deer

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
          From the link I posted earlier:

Thanks. That’s was what I’m wondering if the 1” of velvet is the point of demarcation between buck and antlerless.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            now we got some woke*** deer
            lol I guess we have for as long as I can remember in Texas

Comment

"Fix the rigged point system" didn't make the list? What?

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                I think a lot of people are arguing for the sake of arguing.
                This. The proof of sex thing for doe is awesome, sucks having to keep a stinky head in the truck a few days to haul home.

Comment

No offense, I don’t care if you agree or not. I want to know if the law agrees. When it comes to nubbin bucks, it’s been my understanding forever that if there’s not a hard antler protruding through the skin then it’s antlerless.

Has that changed?
                  Yes, if the velvet nub is 1" or longer you now have to use a buck tag.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                    Yes, if the velvet nub is 1" or longer you now have to use a buck tag.
                    That is a good thing if that is actually what they are saying. Lots of nubbins get tagged antlerless. That's the way I read it but it seems most disagree.

Comment

You guys are using tags....BAHAHAHA

Comment

I wonder what the “administrative error” was on the Sandhill crane permits.

Comment

Thanks. That’s was what I’m wondering if the 1” of velvet is the point of demarcation between buck and antlerless.
                          If a harden antler break skin then is a buck tag, no matter the size. If is in velvet then it needs to be 1” . Button bucks for the most part are still anterless

Comment

Listened to the commisson meeting on replay and the aww shucks deer biologist guy said they couldn't change the archery season crossbow rule in those 4 archery counties without opening a rifle season, what?!, didn't seem like he wanted any part of a compromise. Was he just trying to get the regulation pushed through? Not advocating for it but I don't understand why those 4 archery counties crossbow regs would be prevented from mirroring archery season in all the other counties, you can already use a crossbow for deer during general season in Dallas, Collin, Grayson and Rockwall. Boy is a smooth talker I'll give him that.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 03-30-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                              If a harden antler break skin then is a buck tag, no matter the size. If is in velvet then it needs to be 1” . Button bucks for the most part are still anterless
                              Nope, gotta be an inch long.

Comment

Some more

AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved hunting regulations for the 2022-23 season at its public meeting held March 24 in Austin. Commissioners adopted the following modifications and clarifications to the 2022-23 Statewide Hunting Proclamation:

Establish mandatory buck and antlerless white-tailed deer harvest reporting in Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties during white-tailed deer season.
                                Modify the definitions of “buck deer” and “antlerless deer.”
                                Modify the proof of sex requirements for harvested buck deer.
                                Create definitions for two types of commercial cold storage facilities.
                                Modify tagging and proof of sex requirements, log procedures and destination regulations for commercial cold storage facilities.
                                Expand mule deer antler restrictions to an additional 21 counties in the Panhandle.
                                Extend the general mule deer season in 15 southwestern Panhandle counties from nine to 16 days and add a special archery season.
                                Establish a mule deer antler restriction in Terrell County within the Trans-Pecos.
                                Establish a veterans and active-duty special waterfowl hunting season to occur concurrently during youth-only season in all duck zones.
                                Modify the West Zone for goose hunting to open a week earlier than current goose hunting regulations.
                                Remove the daily bag limit restriction (two) on hooded mergansers.
                                Combine the separate merganser and duck daily bag limits into a single aggregate daily bag limit of six per day.
                                Reauthorize the requirement to possess a Federal Sandhill Crane Hunting Permit while hunting that species due to an administrative error.
                                Close the turkey season east of IH-35 in Ellis County to support ongoing restocking efforts along the Trinity River.

Comment

Working...
                                X