Catalytic Converter theft deterrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
    I will probably jinx myself and get mine stolen tomorrow; however, I don't personally know anyone who has had one stolen. I agree the device appears to be easily defeated and instead of spending money on the device it seems like even though the risk of theft is real, the odds of having your vehicle targeted is relatively low.
    Tracey looked into these because MY car, along with 11 others, was hit in less than an hour at a very public restaurant, in broad daylight. So yes, maybe the odds are low, but to those of us now having to deal with the headache of being down a car, that little bit of deterrent might have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
      I will probably jinx myself and get mine stolen tomorrow; however, I don't personally know anyone who has had one stolen. I agree the device appears to be easily defeated and instead of spending money on the device it seems like even though the risk of theft is real, the odds of having your vehicle targeted is relatively low.

You may not know anybody personally but it is rampant! And the wait to get new ones is 3-6 months depending on what brand of car/truck you have. I was not willing to take that chance on my Tundra. I need my truck. I went with the full plate coverage but this seems like a decent deterrent. Cheap insurance.

Comment

11 other catalytic converters besides ours were taken in under an hour while parked in broad daylight in a restaurant's parking lot. While it's easy enough to say "oh you have insurance, nothing to worry about" the reality is that the CCs for our car (and no doubt many others) are backordered for 4 months. In the meantime, we have the choice of sidelining the car we bought specifically for commuting to and from work while waiting for a part that may or may not arrive on time or replacing it with a 'Band-Aid' part that will get us by. Our rental insurance only covers the time while the car is being repaired, not while it sits there waiting on a part. (We checked and confirmed)

In our case, a sawzall was used. Who knows if a theft deterrent would have prevented the theft, but I'd imagine rolling under a car and seeing it might have given this particular low life pause.

Comment

Great idea BUT held on with plastic wire ties.

Comment

Our storage facility got hit everything got it except my truck and think it was because I spray painted "stolen" on mine. Big white letters.

Comment

I think all of you missed the ear shattering alarm that is sold as an add on to this. The noise from the alarm is enough to cause most non-deaf people to curl up in a ball and want to vacate the area.

The company claims a 98% success rate, although I do not know how they calculate that.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                They love that high jacked up trucks. Get you a low rider and you'll be good.
                That is what makes me nervous about having a 6" lift.

Comment

Neither of my trucks have cats. But, I highly encourage anyone to combat theft in any way possible. An alarm "sounds" like a good idea.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

They are hitting the Toyota Tundra's really bad around Houston and surrounding suburbs. I know of two people that got them stolen this month. The local Toyota dealership closest to my house has over 50 trucks in the back waiting on replacement cat converters and some have been there since November!

One guy I know leaves his hazard lights on as a deterrent whenever he leaves his truck to go into a store or restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                      Our storage facility got hit everything got it except my truck and think it was because I spray painted "stolen" on mine. Big white letters.
                      This! High temp exhaust header paint! Bright red with a phone # stenciled on it in some other bright color! Too easy for them to move on to the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                        Great idea BUT held on with plastic wire ties.
                        I am going to use muffler clamps and stainless bailing wire. Mine are painted red. Might put D/L # on them.

I want to make it a huge pain. Yes it is a Tundra...

Comment

It doesn’t matter if the vehicle is low or high. Toyota Prius are a common one being targeted. I’ve read of a couple of thieves that won the Darwin Award due to jacks falling.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                            I am going to use muffler clamps and stainless bailing wire. Mine are painted red. Might put D/L # on them.

I want to make it a huge pain. Yes it is a Tundra...
                            Don't use your DL, use your VIN. Your DL has too much private information associated with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              Don't use your DL, use your VIN. Your DL has too much private information associated with it.
                              Good idea.

Tracie one of these days lets get a cup of coffee...

Comment

You coming to Bownanza?

Comment

Working...
                                X