Thoughts on finding tree stands??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
    I am curious on peoples thoughts on finding Tree Stands on public land. I was recently out scouting some new public land and found 5 stands in one area about 60 acres. Frustrating. While leaving stands more than 72 hours is against the rules, I now know of probably 15 stands on public land that are up all year. It is starting to get to me a bit. I really try and stay away from other people, but sometimes I want to hunt where I want to hunt. I have walked 2 miles for a spot before and I don't want to do that every time, it's exhausting.

So what do you do when find an area loaded with tree stands.

A) take it as a sign of a great area and hunt there anyways

B) just hunt the less desirable areas around them

C) move areas and avoid it due to too much pressure

D) Take a pole saw and cut the stands down

E) Report the stands to GW

I stay away from the last two but curious if anyone does do that.

Also what do you do if you set up near a fixed stand and they come in an hour after you have been on stand? I guess they are not going to leave since they are not mobile.
    Report to GW let them know that and handle it. Send drop pin so they can find. Shame folks think public land is their territory

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually try and find another spot to hunt. However, if it is a really good spot and the stand doesn't look like it has been hunted I will set up in the area that I want to hunt. I try to find areas that are not getting pressured to the best of my ability.

To be honest, it used to bother me finding stands. The game wardens dont really care. They have other work to do than worry about taking someone's stand down and hauling out. At least that is how it feels, I haven't told a game warden where a stand is but it isn't hard to find stands if you walk around a bit. I am sure game wardens spend their time in the parking lot areas. They have to cover lots of ground and best bang for your buck until they get a call to respond to. Plus, they have to haul a stand out, taking valuable time and no citation given when they can be giving citations out in parking lots.

Second, it is really hard to prove that someone hasn't been there in the last 72 hours unless you have been there every day during that time to document it. I do understand all or some require some information like a name and date on stand but I don't think I have ever seen that. It just feels like snitching to me and I have decided to not let it bother me but use that information to my advantage. I usually try and find out who the other hunters are in the area and make friends. Works out better that way if possible. Found quite a few tbh'ers that hunt the same public area I do

If you found 5 stands in 60 acres...I would go somewhere else. That is the point of scouting, to not only find where to go, but where not to go. Now use that information to your advantage. If that area is heavily hunted, probably has a lot of young bucks and does with mature bucks visiting at night if the pressure hasn't pushed deer away. Now look at a satellite map and try and figure out where those mature bucks are bedding and the trails to get to that area
      Last edited by Beargrasstx; 03-05-2022, 12:46 AM.

Comment

If your the wanna be scout pro from TBH you just mark all their locations and try to sell them to whoever you can.

Comment

So if a stand is still up after 72 hours can you legally dismantle it, haul it out and claim it as your own?

Comment

D.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
              So if a stand is still up after 72 hours can you legally dismantle it, haul it out and claim it as your own?
              The way this reads if someone isn't sitting in it, its deemed abandoned...

Stands must be removed when not in actual use. Hunting blinds must be removed and transported off of public lands after each hunt. The abandonment of property is prohibited and will result in the items being confiscated.

Comment

Ive never see the actual use that's above ,most are 72 hours ,some like benbrook lake are three weeks , I personally have left stands way back there and view them as donated to first come first serve,if your willing to hike there and beat me there then imok ,if someone steals or the state takes it, again I'm ok ,not claiming an area ,it's public ,a stand doesn't mean an area is yours ,I have been I my tree saddle when someone else comes in before daylight and sits at the bottom of it same tree, butthole only moved about 40 yards after I spotted him with my light. Just seemed like too much work back out of $100 stand back and forth back and forth, I do leave my name and information on it and a note please feel free to use but please don't it steal it, I do work hard for what I have

Comment

Make a YouTube and post GPS coordinates along with key words like FREE, PUBLIC, HUNTING, TEXAS, WMA, NATIONAL, FOREST, & everything else worthy
                  Those who decide to find a place a week before opening season need all the help cuz it was too hot and much work to scout
                  Trust me advertising works! Seen plenty of good spots ruined by YouTube videos with some posted on here on TBH.
                  Last edited by ABWGTX; 03-11-2022, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                    I'm guessing this is similar to hunting a duck blind in the bay

If not tagged then it should be open property to hunt

A duck blind I believe is the same way
                    A duck blind in the bay is considered abandoned property as soon as it is build.

Legally, it's first come, first served. Ethically though...well that's a discussion with lots of different opinions.

Comment

Even though the original owner is in violation for leaving it there, it would be considered "theft of property". Already been discussed with both Feds on fed property, and TP&W.

Two wrongs don't make it right.

Comment

Would just make you a thief.

Comment

10-4. The reason I asked the question was because I don’t hunt public save for drawn hunts and did not know whether or not COE and TPWD encourage the removal of abandon property.

Comment

10-4. The reason I asked the question was because I don’t hunt public save for drawn hunts and did not know whether or not COE and TPWD encourage the removal of abandon property.

Comment

I mentioned seeing a couple trail cams once to a federal warden and he asked me to cut them down and haul them out. I brought him out three cameras. That's a one-off though and it still felt really weird pulling those cams down. That was a drawn hunt property so nobody should have access unless they draw.

Comment

I leave it alone, first it's not mine and second it's not hurting me , well consider sitting in it though instead of carrying mine back there next time, I I've only left my stuff once and that's cuz I simply couldn't find my way back to it, I know what the grasslands they confiscate and auction them off ,I believe Tpwd also auctions off confiscated blinds and feeders

Comment

Working...
                                X