No announcement yet.

Thoughts on finding tree stands??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mess with any stands I come across. I usually prefer to talk to guys in my general area. Just to get there general area they hunting and try to work together as to not mess up each other hunt. If I came across a truck parked near where I wanted to hunt, I'd just keep driving to another spot and hunt. If I wanted to hunt an area that had a stand that was left in the woods, if there was no truck there I'd set up in my saddle and hunt where I wanted to.
    Not sure how the law in here in Texas, other than not leaving it over 72 hours. In Michigan we were able to leave our stands out all season and have to remove them after. Our Name and Town had to be on the bottom of the stand, readable from the ground. Any stand left in the woods was deemed public property any body could hunt it. I would never sit in someone stand. My feeling you would be better off sleeping with my wife than to be caught in my tree stand.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
      My feeling you would be better off sleeping with my wife than to be caught in my tree stand.
      Better not say that too loud some of these boys tag out on deer early!

Comment

We hunt Amistad and find stands all the time that have obviously been out a very long time. I just go somewhere else because I'm not interested in having some dude walk in on the area at 5pm (it happens enough as is) but the correct answer I believe is to just sit in or near the stand as it's public land. The rules out there are that it has to be labeled with a date and I think 5 days max. People leaving stands are essentially claiming an area for their own, which is wrong. I do sometimes use tripods out there, and I correctly label mine with the date and my TPWD # per regulations. If I found someone sitting in one I'd ask him to get out and I'd move my tripod to a different location and yield the spot to him as he was there first, or depending on where I want to go I may just leave him in the tripod, most of the spots out there are better without anyway.

Comment

“It's not fair to the law abiding hunters that they feel they can't hunt an area they want to, because some unethical hunter can't follow the rules.”

I agree with a lot that’s said here, especially the above, and I understand the frustration. Numerous times I’ve scouted during the summer and found and prepped a few areas only to have someone plant a stand the weekend (day) before opening season and it stays there all season (and often beyond). I know it’s brutal, especially early in bow season, to pack a stand in and out, but if everyone follows the 72 hour rule and not claim “their spot” I think we as public land hunters as a whole are better off.
          To (almost) answer OPs question, I feel like I’ve gone through a few stages. (1) crap, there’s a stand, better move on to the next spot, to (2) crap, there is still a freakin stand (usually right on top of a trail), screw that mofo, I’ll hunt it anyway to (3) there is still as stand, areas probably blown out, better move on. (4) Not there yet but it is either: hunt the suckers stand since it clearly breaks the 72 hour rule or, volunteer to help the GW clean the mess up, or just not let it bother me.
          Trying to get to the “just not bother me” stage, but ain’t there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
            lol. Both wouldn't end well, just one above the other on the list.

Comment

It seems most agree with reporting to game warden as we all enjoy a level playing field. Not sure my local warden will do anything but I can pass it along and move on with my off season.

The stands I was finding were not bothering me much until this last spot. It was every time I said oh this looks good... stand. Saw lots of animal sign but even more people sign. It tells me the area is heavily pressured but may be worth it. I have an idea of where people are hunting and I need to figure out how to adjust and hunt accordingly.

Overall I have learned through my very short time hunting public that hunt your best spots and don't worry about people. If you worry about other hunters (who will likely not show up on the same hours as you) you will miss out on great opportunities. But I also try and avoid people as it ruins both our hunts.

Comment

I'm guessing this is similar to hunting a duck blind in the bay

If not tagged then it should be open property to hunt

A duck blind I believe is the same way

Comment

I've seen the "72" hour rule brought up a few times here. I've also heard guys mention the "48" hour rule in east texas. While some projects may have this rule its not universal in TX. Be familiar to the rules on the project you hunt because your property left may become deemed abandoned and become public property well before "48" or "72" hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                    Excellent!

Comment

I've found quite a few climbers at the bottom of trees. Most were old, but one two seasons ago looked brand new. Bad thing about that one is I didn't see it until I was completely set up in the tree and noticed it 30 yards away. I wasn't going to take the stand and sticks down to start over though.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                        It is a WMA, but I don't think the GW cares. But it's the same as taking them down myself. I dont want to mess with people's stuff as I don't want them taking my cameras.

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

Just curious... do you leave your cameras up for an extended period of time??

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                          Just curious... do you leave your cameras up for an extended period of time??
                          I do.

Comment

That's what trail cams are for though. I like to make faces at them and leave deer carcasses in front of them so they can get cool pics.

Comment

Good topic. I just pin them on my map, so I might be able to avoid them if a car is parked nearby or I can check with binoculars.
                              It is frustrating to see a camouflaged 2x4 ladder stand nailed to a tree.

Comment

This post is kinda silly. No it doesnt bother me when I see someone's stand. They're people trying to hunt, and what I've noticed is many times they don't hunt much.
                                What if its someone with a bad knee and wants to hunt?
                                Betting if the stand is there in the spring they probably dont care if you take them. You walk 2 miles with a stand, put it up, take it down in 72 hours? really? consider a saddle or light stand ? Use it to your advantage, use them to push deer to you. decent bucks aren't usually (maybe sometimes) by the heavy traffic anyways.
                                Sounds like you don't want anyone around in the short walk perimeter and that's not gonna happen in Texas with so little public deer land.
                                Not trying to offend, just shaking facts around

Comment

Working...
                                X